Getting Submitted jobs for all the server on one server

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
All,

I have need where I have to run certain jobs on batch server and rest on another batch server.

I can easily do that usign OCM

However, End user don't want to go to different batch server to look for their jobs. They would like to go to any one server and be able to pickup their jobs

I can move all the PDF output to one central location for both the batch server

I can have them share the same DB schema, so all the jobs goes to same server table.

However when we look for the job using WSJ, it always input host name. Hence, it looks for job from that host only.

Is there any creative way (without coding and removing the hostname) to be able to see all the jobs from both the server.

Has any one done something like this or would have an idea how to acheive this.

Thanks

If you go to Submitted Jobs from BV you can choose the server.

You can design a Load Balanced Batch Server solution so that the jobs process on multiple physical boxes but share a E1 logical data source name.

I blogged about this issue here: http://jeffstevenson.karamazovgroup.com/2008/12/submitted-jobs-from-all-servers.html and mentioned that Denver could very easily abstract physical servers in E1 and eliminate the issue you have.

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I have need where I have to run certain jobs on batch server and rest on another batch server.

I can easily do that usign OCM

However, End user don't want to go to different batch server to look for their jobs. They would like to go to any one server and be able to pickup their jobs

I can move all the PDF output to one central location for both the batch server

I can have them share the same DB schema, so all the jobs goes to same server table.

However when we look for the job using WSJ, it always input host name. Hence, it looks for job from that host only.

Is there any creative way (without coding and removing the hostname) to be able to see all the jobs from both the server.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've done this many times by sharing the servermap between the same types of servers (obviously, Jeff's solution works if you have different types of application servers - such as AS/400 and intel). The only way is to remove the servername out of the WSJ application - just hard code a "*" into the app - its a simple 1 line code change, and you just have to remember the change each time you apply a planner ESU. I think that years ago I wrote a whitepaper on this - "load balancing application servers" - you'll probably find it on my website. Don't forget to change the server INI so that they are writing the Printqueue to the same shared location...

I'm with Jon on the shared server maps, I've done this a ton of times and my recommended design is one server map per platform.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've done this many times by sharing the servermap between the same types of servers (obviously, Jeff's solution works if you have different types of application servers - such as AS/400 and intel). The only way is to remove the servername out of the WSJ application - just hard code a "*" into the app - its a simple 1 line code change, and you just have to remember the change each time you apply a planner ESU. I think that years ago I wrote a whitepaper on this - "load balancing application servers" - you'll probably find it on my website. Don't forget to change the server INI so that they are writing the Printqueue to the same shared location...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you all. My server are windows only and they share the same server map.

I wanted to avoid the change in the code. I know its small code, but its system level app and I don't want to change it. I guess, I have no choice but change it.

Its not a big change - in effect, you're hard coding the "*" into the field. Its a single line of code, and can easily be reproduced again if you overwrite the code with a planner ESU. The worst thing that could happen is that your users lose that code change if an ESU or something else modifies the code back again - their jobs will still be in the submitted jobs table...

We have a product that does that.
Please contact me at info-at-aellius.com (replace -at- with @) if you are interested.

Hari Sharma
Aellius | www.aellius.com

All,

I have made the change and I am getting a little bit of issue.
Both server uses a different series of next number stored in the F9861111 table by hostname.
User have the jobs by job number in descending order so tha latest job shows up at top. But with this change the jobs are all over the place.

I matached the number, however they will soon have large difference. Grid does not have time as a value to sort on, it only have date.

Basically, I would like someway of getting the latest job on the top of the list

Has any one encountered this issue and/or can someone think of a solution

Yes. Order the submitted jobs table by Submitted Date/Time - not by Job Number. That way, the latest submitted jobs will always be at the top, and it wouldn't be based by the job number.

John,

Unfortunately, Time field is not available for sorting. Only Date field is available for sorting. I already thought about it and tried that. It won't work

Thanks

Back