8.97 Statement of Direction

msouterblight1

VIP Member
All,

I found the attached file while I was looking through the Knowledge Garden. Looks like they are really trying to transition EOne away from ER and to make it Java Based. Not too sure what the new object Type "Business Services" will mean or what it will do, just appears that it is an interim solution to making EOne ER ans BSFNs Java Based, and allowing other applications that are Java Based to interface with Eone more easily.

Can anyone shed some light on the new object type and what it will mean??

Matthew

Attachments

• 121419-8.97 external_statement-of-direction_2007.pdf
    142.9 KB · Views: 229
I'm not sure they're trying to move completely away from being event driven - I think thats a fundamental core part of what makes OneWorld - remove that and all you have left is the data structure !

Its interesting to me that they're introducing new objects in the midst of a service pack - and telling us about it ! Since JDE has been owned by Oracle, this is the second new object type released. Prior to that, JDE had NEVER released a new object type - so its very interesting that Oracle is shaking as close to the foundation as they can !

Obviously the Oracle direction as a COMPANY is towards Java. Interesting that, especially since they didn't create the darn stuff. But its a direction that is directly opposite from Microsoft - and so Oracle is embracing it as much as possible. It seems to me that this new object type allows for a developer to code java objects directly into OneWorld - which seems pretty cool ! Something like a Java business function.

However, I can't imagine seeing anything from JDE (oracle) being developed to use this functionality until EnterpriseOne 9.0 is released. Obviously they have the code and they want to ensure its stable, so why not put it into a service pack and see if it breaks anything (!). Customers can use the new functionality in custom code - but thats all the use it will be initially. Expect a LOT of use in 9.0 from these java functions.

With some of their other statements, it makes me wonder whether they're going to try and make 9.0 a portal UNDER JDE - rather than the traditional way they've done this before (making JDE modules part of a portal). From that perspective, things are going to be interesting !

All in all, I think these documents are great, and really show that Oracle is pushing EnterpriseOnes' development harder than either JDE or Peoplesoft ever did.

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, I think these documents are great, and really show that Oracle is pushing EnterpriseOnes' development harder than either JDE or Peoplesoft ever did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, you have a valid point there. They are pushing the application in a new and exciting direction. Matthew, the "Business Services" object that they are talking about in that white paper are the same things that they announced at the Collaborate conference. They are pushing JDE to be a more open platform to integrate heavily with their Fusion middleware. This will allow customers to integrate functionality from another oracle app, like Seibol, to integrate easily with JDE. The future direction being that a customer on a late model JDE release like 8.12 or 9.0 could easily integrate a modual of Fusion application into their JDE instance. The glue to all of that is the Fusion middleware piece. All of it will be Java and AJAX based. The new co-existance, JDE and Fusion Apps, is coming at us at 90 MPH. Gonna be an interesting ride....

There is going to be a major paradyme switch for JDE developers. They are going to need to start learning Java development. Sounds like the CNCs are going to need to extend their toolsets a bit too. Managing web servers and middleware services is going to be a big part of the CNC role in the future.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair North American System Admin
JDE CNC and Security, Websphere, Tidal, Princeton Softech

[ QUOTE ]
Managing web servers and middleware services is going to be a big part of the CNC role in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it isn't now ? ! ! !

This is awesome. As a Java Developer it felt like a step back to move to a scripting tool (please don't take any offense) and having another lanuage to develop will be awesome.

JDE has followed the 'services' model, in a sense, by using CNC, data anywhere, execute anywhere without the app or user needing to be aware of the underlying systems. I see Java and 'Services' being the natural progression of things. When I started working with this earlier this year I was expecting to see Java right around the corner and it is here. What a great direction.

The way I see this playing out is that you define an interface (data structure) just like you always do, and then assign the data structure to the BF but instead of opening VC++ or NER Editor you open JDeveloper and start coding. You will have all the same access to DD defined data structures.

I know it will take some to get it right, but having to build out complex calculations and processing logic will take on a whole new life of its own...a good one I hope
smile.gif

Interesting.... I must admin that my knowledge of SOA is very limited. But I have done a little research. So, in this model, would each BSFN become a Web Service?? Thus we can build applications that call various web services, instead of business functions. And since they are standards based, we can develop applications external to EOne that can use these services as well???

Am I way off base here??

Matthew

Matthew,

No, you're not off base. That's the implication of where the app is going. Granted, it will take a while to get there, but that's where it's going. The new co-existance will be between JDE and anything else that's standards based web-enabled.

Jon, to your point, not all JDE shops have gotten all that far on to the JDEweb and middleware bandwagon yet. So it's not that big of a part of the job for those of us back in the XE world...... but it's coming at us fast!

Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Managing web servers and middleware services is going to be a big part of the CNC role in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like it isn't now ? ! ! !

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear! I got my WebSphere certification years ago when I realized that customers were not going to dedicate yet another person to run portions of their E1 implementation. Since then, architecting, installing, configuring, and maintaining Apache and WAS has been a part of the CNC implementor's job.

[ QUOTE ]
Hear, hear! I got my WebSphere certification years ago when I realized that customers were not going to dedicate yet another person to run portions of their E1 implementation. Since then, architecting, installing, configuring, and maintaining Apache and WAS has been a part of the CNC implementor's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jeff, I'm not saying that Websphere and middleware is not a part of my job, just not a big part. I have several websphere instances, both JDE and not, that I manage. I interact daily with Webmethods (our middleware component). But those apps are a small segment of my job. If we look back at that survey of a few months ago, we see that a large chunk of the installed base is on XE and is not in a huge hurry to move into a later release.

When that big chunk of the base does move, they (we) are going to be in for a culture shock. Our beloved application is undergoing some dramatic changes. It's going to be an interesting ride!!

Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jeff, I'm not saying that Websphere and middleware is not a part of my job, just not a big part. I have several websphere instances, both JDE and not, that I manage. I interact daily with Webmethods (our middleware component). But those apps are a small segment of my job. If we look back at that survey of a few months ago, we see that a large chunk of the installed base is on XE and is not in a huge hurry to move into a later release.

When that big chunk of the base does move, they (we) are going to be in for a culture shock. Our beloved application is undergoing some dramatic changes. It's going to be an interesting ride!!

Gregg

[/ QUOTE ]

Gregg,

I suppose (and I imagine Jon will echo) that one of the dangers of staying on an old release in these days of rapidly advancing technology is the skills of your top people will get stale.

I think your E1 skills are top-notch as you have proven time and again on this forum. However, the world is headed toward service-based, web-platformed, java-written technology and those who haven't honed their skills in those areas are going to simply be left behind. Somehow I don't think you will be.

It will indeed be an interesting ride and those who can adapt will enjoy and prosper.

"Beloved application" -- don't think I would ever have thought to use those words to describe JDE. I've called JDE lots of things, but that's definitely not one of them. Once in a while I call it "job security."

[ QUOTE ]
"Beloved application" -- don't think I would ever have thought to use those words to describe JDE. I've called JDE lots of things, but that's definitely not one of them. Once in a while I call it "job security."

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I'm getting zinged from all over the place on this thread.
grin.gif

It's much beloved because it provides such awesome job security. It keeps me well fed in pizza and beer money. Of course my wife thinks I'm a bit too well fed on the pizza and beer, but that's a thread for a whole different forum........

Gregg

Greg - I certainly wasn't zinging you, and I think many "olde tymers" like myself also view OneWorld as the "beloved old application" - otherwise we wouldn't be working with it today. Certainly that extends also to calling it a pain in the rear end - but its like a 3 legged dog that you really just don't want to put out of its misery - and it continues to surprise you....

One customer of mine recently lost their CNC guy - the customer runs Xe, and there are no plans currently for an upgrade - the CNC guy moved to a new customer that had just started an implementation (on 8.12 of course).

Its certainly something to think about - we've now got into a position where Xe is such a good, strong reliable product, there are customers out there that just don't want to upgrade. But for the people who support the product, they feel as if they're being left behind. We've never been in this position before - Oneworld was only 5 years old when Xe came out, and Xe is now 6 years old and all the products prior to Xe had issues.

I think there will be a huge exodus to 9.0 when it arrives - I think that most of the current Xe and Xe.1 customers will move to 9.0. Its interesting because the 8.9 and 8.10 customers seem to be providing the drive towards 8.12 currently !

[ QUOTE ]
I think there will be a huge exodus to 9.0 when it arrives - I think that most of the current Xe and Xe.1 customers will move to 9.0. Its interesting because the 8.9 and 8.10 customers seem to be providing the drive towards 8.12 currently !

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, don't worry about the zing, it's all in good fun and in the sense of discussion. I'm a little skeptical about that last statement quoted above. There is a real cost involved in doing an upgrade. Especially the jump from XE to 9.0. You'll see some customers jump, but I don't expect throngs. XE is the new World. It's stable, it's being supported, and it doesn't require a huge new investment in webservers, user training and IT retraining. XE's stability is providing for the after market support companies like TomorrowNow. Why fund Oracle's R&D efforts for Fusion and E-One 9.0 through maintenance dollars when you have a stable app and a company (or companies) that will support you for half the cost?

I like the direction that Oracle is taking JDE. I think 9.0 is going to be an interesting release. But there is still going to be a big chunk of companies that are not going to jump on that bandwagon quickly.

But it will be entertaining to watch!

Gregg

Another great topic fellas. I remember attending the old JAS bootcamps in Denver and discussing this very topic with Jeff. It should definitely be interesting to see how the product evolves over the next couple of years.

Is there a Statement of Direction for application side (EO 9.0). This sounds silly to me, but someone in the JDE circle has told my boss that Oracle is not going to invest anymore on EO HRM/HCM/Payroll. New customers of EO will be provided with Peoplesoft HRM/HCM/Payroll modules.

Husni

I can't believe that personally. I thought that when Peoplesoft bought JDE, most of the development that Peoplesoft did to JDE was actually around the HR modules. Oracle has been very open about "destroying" peoplesoft - certainly they took some steps back when it was really starting to anger their customers - but even so, I can't imagine them developing JDE and not enhancing HR/Payroll.

What JDE circle are you referring to ? If its a customer, then they're plain wrong - if its from Oracle directly - then it is an interesting statement and I'd like to know what level it came from.

I think your safe with HR/Payroll under JDE. I think that the HUGE application changes that have occurred between 8.9, 8.10, 8.11 and 8.12 under Oracles' command should be indicative of the future changes that will occur with 9.0

I would expect that since 8.97 is about to be released, and 8.98 is in development (or whatever toolset foundation that 9.0 is going to be run on) - its going to still be a while before application development is complete - hence until 9.0 is actually released or in QA, I'd not expect a statement of direction yet.

Husniameen,

E-One 9.0 is actually E-One 8.13. They just didn't like the connotations of the number 13 and decided to make it number release rather than a point release. If you read my other posts on this subject, look for a coming together of all of the best of the best of the portfolio that Oracle offers through the "new co-existance" that the fusion middleware will afford. I don't expect the Oracle boys to backslide, they will improve moduals and make moduals from other applications availible to tack on to JDE. It's going to be an interesting ride....

Gregg

Back