Using the same machine as the app server and Webserver

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
We arethinking of using one big box for App server and Webserver. Do you guys know from your exp , if this is going to be a isseue... Issue with workflow etc....

Thanks in advance for your help

Shouldn't be an issue, the iSeries can handle it all, just be sure to get it sized properly (sorry Eric, couldn't resist, it was the first time I was in a "flame war"...and didn't know it!
smile.gif
).

With that aside, I'm sure your "big box" wasn't an iSeries, but really anything, from a E1 standpoint, should be able to handle web and application. In all seriousness, though, get it sized properly...based on number of instances of HTML you'll be running, and the expected load on the E1 application part of things.

What platform? I wouldn't do it, anyway. Machines are cheap these days... If anything, people buy more cheap machines for webservers and split the load.

I don't know what workflow has to do with it but you have plenty of other reasons not to do it. Among other things (let's say memory, different needs for fixes on the OS patches), you need to cleanup some port conflicts, if you decide to do it.

jas.ini for example contains serviceNameConnect serviceNameListen for [JDENET] even though there is no reason for the JAS server to listen on the JDENET port. However, theoretically, your JAS server can start before your jde servicices and lock the 6013 (or whatever release you are on...) port. Some of these stanzas are used by SAW, so if you put another port for Listen in JAS, SAW won't work right - SAR 7695175, etc.

You can definitely do it but you would buy yourself some headaches that may exceed the cost of a cheap box for WebSphere...

This is setup is commonly referred to as a "combo" box. As long as your iSeries can handle the load, it should not pose a problem. I must caution you though. I usually persuade my clients to avoid this type of setup especially if you are planning to open your html client to the internet. In the end, you must ask yourself whether you want your outside users accessing your web server via the same machine that also houses your database? In the consulting community, this is considered a major "no no." Additionally, unless your html client user base is rather large (1000+), the cost/benefit ratio for having an iSeries web server as compared to a intel web server is usually not worth it. Good luck.

Been doing this successfully on a unix box for a year. Limitations may
be # of users and size of box. Otherwise response time has been good.
Oracle 9i, HP Unix, v8.11 base.

Keith Figgins, CPIM
M&D Information Systems
O: 719-481-1414
C: 303-810-2344
F: 719-481-1317

Back