Interesting Direction

jstooge

VIP Member
Listened in on a webadvisor conference on the new Oracle Technology Stack. Seems that two stack options will be offered to clients.

Oracle technology stack
Will actually include standard 10g DB license for use with E1 in addition to appserver, BI server, and cache server along with other goodies

IBM Technology Stack
Will include DB2 UDB licensed for use with E1 along with WAS, etc.

They are working on a utility or set to migrate from WAS to OAS

SQL server will be supported as a back-end RDBMS, but for many new clients, it will be difficult to not look at the RDBMS that you will have E1 licenses for rather than purchase an additional RDBMS (note, iSeries users license DB2/400 as part of OS/400)

Of course, there are channels available to "bump up" the standard RDBMS's included in the selected technology stack to the enterprise type versions for sites that need that.

Don't know about you, but it looks as if the direction is to push out SQL. As the little old guy (Artie Johnson) used to say on Laugh-in...veeeedddddy eeenteeeresteeeng.

Stooge

That is interesting. We are in the middle of an Oracle to SQL migration project. Was this conference recorded?

Patty

Sure was. Mind you, to repeat, SQL will still be an E1 supported RDBMS, it's just that if you purchase one of the 2 Technology stacks, you are paying in part for E1 usage of either Oracle 10g Standard or DB2 UBD Multi-Platform.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know about you, but it looks as if the direction is to push out SQL.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this surprises you why? An Oracle rep let this slip to a very senior guy I know almost a year ago....

From an Oracle standpoint it doesn't surprise me in the least. I firmly believe that the intent is to eventually push all users to the Oracle side of the fence. The interesting thing is that they allowed IBM to include DB2 UDB as part of the "other" offering. To me, it would have sweetened the pot so to speak by saying "look, if you go OTF you not only get the app server, but you get the DB licensed for E1 use, but if you go the other route, you have to purchase your DB". Of course, I'm sure IBM had a lot to say about that too. I just thought it was kind of spooky that during the presentation, the speaker never mentioned, nor did the materials mention SQL. One of the participants asked during the Q&A that SQL didn't seem to be supported, and the comment was, "oh, no, you can still use SQL as your DB...if you want".

But again, not a "surprising" direction, just interesting. Of course, not all of us are insider trading, super secret handshake buddies with covert Oracle operatives like yourself.

I don't really see how the direction has really changed very much. DB2/UDB was always included in the technology stack for foundation. What they basically did was say "Now we are adding Oracle as well." IBM is probably pretty much giving away UDB because no one is addopting it as a database. Oracle is attempting to make moving to their DB more attractive. Why not? Any move from SQL / DB2/400 to Oracle is a win for them.

DB2/UDB was included for purposes of WAS (if you wanted to use it for your repository back in the days before v5.X), you weren't licensed to run E1 on it (unless of course you worked a deal with IBM). The BIG change, is that you will get licensing to run E1 on the DB that is included in your "technology stack".

Back