Doing A Gap Analysis

hizbiz79

Hello List,

Does anyone here have any experience with doing and ERP/JDE GAP Analysis, more specifically in the CNC and technical fields?

If so can you please share in advice that you might have and any GAP Analysis templates that you might have at your disposal.

Thanks in advance

The specific criteria you are comparing in a Fit/Gap analysis is very specific to your business and your requirements. So the first step is to understand what it is you want your new system to be able to do (or perhaps the version of the E1 system you are upgrading to?)

As far as template I wouldn't use anything too fancy. A simple excel sheet structured like this:

Functionality Category
Sales
====

Ideal System Criteria: System will read our customers' minds and automatically generate sales orders.
Current System: Manual sales order entry required
New System Vendor X/Version X/etc: No mind reading link but supports a variety of EDI formats

I often see a fit percentage and sometimes a weighting value for each criteria or point of comparison. This then allows multiple products to be compared in regards to how closely the fit your needs and how much of a gap exists that might require modifications to the software or your business process.

I am sure there are many other approaches but that how I normally approach it. Keep it simple and have clearly defined criteria when comparing or evaluating new systems.

A technical gap analysis would follow an identical process.

Regards,

Back