Developing on WTS

fbarreto

Friends,

We have implemented develop through WTS and its working OK.
We decided to expand the environment and put one more server on a farm in a structure like that:

Two servers to logon as WTS and another one as a file server. Worgink like that we are facing a problem. The developer cheks out an object, make the changes and not check it in, and logoff, when he loggin again and try to check in, it shows him an error that says that the object were not checked out on that machine. Ok we know that problem is that when he checked out the object he probably were not in the same machine he was logged on, but, we have a server that would be to receive all check out( a file server).

Could someone help us?

Thanks for advance.

Francisco Barreto

Unless someone can detail how, development on terminal services means keeping a developer on one machine. You can still have two citrix boxes, you just have to make sure your Citrix publishing balances the developers between the two machines.

[ QUOTE ]
Friends,

We have implemented develop through WTS and its working OK.
We decided to expand the environment and put one more server on a farm in a structure like that:

Two servers to logon as WTS and another one as a file server. Worgink like that we are facing a problem. The developer cheks out an object, make the changes and not check it in, and logoff, when he loggin again and try to check in, it shows him an error that says that the object were not checked out on that machine. Ok we know that problem is that when he checked out the object he probably were not in the same machine he was logged on, but, we have a server that would be to receive all check out( a file server).

Could someone help us?

Thanks for advance.

Francisco Barreto

[/ QUOTE ]

Francisco,

PCs are cheap. Have your developers use a farm of remote PCs for their development rather than try to use a non-recommended solution of developing on a terminal server. All of my developers have a PC that they use for every day work and a remote PC (my enterprise servers are in a different state than my developers) for JDE development. We have had this solution for seven years and it has worked well for us.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

I agree with Gregg. Primarily because if your planning on going to 8.11, you will have problems with launching the Web Developer client with multiple users. Having multiple machines is a lot easier to manage, too.

Otherwise, search these forumns for instructions for setting up a Developers Terminal Server. We've used it successfully for Xe. Personally, I still prefer having each developer having their own machine.

Incidently, Oracle has a VMware solution with multiple machines carved out of a single server. We are having performance issues with our VMware solution, but I guess it works great for Oracle.

If users are writing to the main JDE.INI, you don't have the correct setting in the [DEBUG] section.

WTSLogs=TRUE

Add this line when all users are logged off. If you do it when anyone is logged on, the value will be reset to FALSE when they log off.

If you are going to develop on the WTS (not recommended), you will also need the following line in the same section.

OWDEVELOPER=TRUE

CAVEAT: If you use the standard process for installing updates, you will have to fix these lines. Yes, every time.

[ QUOTE ]
Incidently, Oracle has a VMware solution with multiple machines carved out of a single server. We are having performance issues with our VMware solution, but I guess it works great for Oracle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Doug. I forgot to mention VM-ware, thanks for the reminder. My remote fat client is a vm-ware session. It's been that way for two years now. It performs as well as the remote physical PCs. Question - I was asked to write up a white paper on this topic. I was thinking about the following topics:

how to set up development on a terminal server
pros/cons for developing on terminal server
pros/cons for developing on local pc
pros/cons for developing on pc farm
pros/cons for developing on vm-ware
8.11 issue - developing for web client

can you guys think of any other related issues on this topic?

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc

Sweet! I am VERY interested in this white paper. Tell us all when it's done.

Do you plan to include any "how to setup" on the VMware?

Hi Gregg,

I suppose, not only Doug is VERY interested in this white paper
cool.gif

but most of us too.

When It is done, then would be great to place a copy of it onto the Downloads or onto the Tips & Traps board too.

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltan and Doug,

I was asked to write it up for JDEtips. {insert free plug here} Once it's had some time to perk on Andy's site (and I've cashed Andy Klee's check) I'll publish it here too. It might make an interesting topic for the Quest conference too... Doug, I'll add in a how to setup development on vm-ware section and I'll put together a cost comparision of the various solutions.

On that note, my article for this month's edition of JDEtips was titled "CNC terms for Dummies." It is a light hearted article translating our CNC jargon into non-technical terms. It went live on the JDEtips site last week.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc

Microsoft Virtual server and Virtual PCs are also a solution to be considered. It is very similar to VMware.

Here's something that I have had for more than a few years. I suppose it is time to share it.

Attachments

• 96654-Remote Development v0.50.jpg
    96654-Remote Development v0.50.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 275
[ QUOTE ]
Here's something that I have had for more than a few years. I suppose it is time to share it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOK,

Can I ask a favor? Could you change formats and repost that diagram? I have an older version of viseo that could not open the attachment. I usually copy out of viseo and post into MS Word when I share diagrams. Thanks!

I changed it to JPG.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOK,

Can I ask a favor? Could you change formats and repost that diagram? I have an older version of viseo that could not open the attachment. I usually copy out of viseo and post into MS Word when I share diagrams. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

We have not had any problems with our Devlopment WTS in Xe however, in E810 if multiple users try to access debugger at the same time they lock up and the first person in is the only one still functioning...anybody experiencing this and now how to resolve it?

Hi,

Are all of your developers logging to WTS with
their own Windows user profiles?
Sharing local profiles is not a good idea for JDE development, it could lead to spec corruption and
unstabilities such as the one you describe.

Like you, we were fine with Xe but have the same problem as you on 8.10 - developers have seperate profiles + specs - no solution, no help from Oracle/PeopleSoft/JDE. For very remote developers, only leaves VMWare as a circumvention with 1 partition per developer.

wow, talk about timely input. I'm working on a white paper for JDEtips on this exact issue. In fact, today is my deadline. I'll have an interesting white paper to post on this at a later date.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

hello Larkin,
did you get those white papers?
please forward it to me if yes.

Back