Solution Explorer Roles

adamara

Hi,

I am currently using ERP 8.10 (AS400 DB2 V5R2) and am having problems with roles. For a test user, I had set up about 4-5 roles using FineCut. Now when I create some more roles and try adding it to my role list, I start having problems logging in. I get the windows application error and my solution explorer crashed. The jde.log does not show any error. Is there any way the roles are conflicting with each other or what could be a possible problem?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I am currently using ERP 8.10 (AS400 DB2 V5R2) and am having problems with roles. For a test user, I had set up about 4-5 roles using FineCut. Now when I create some more roles and try adding it to my role list, I start having problems logging in. I get the windows application error and my solution explorer crashed. The jde.log does not show any error. Is there any way the roles are conflicting with each other or what could be a possible problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adamara,

Are you applying multiple roles to that test user? If so, have you set a priority to the roles? Role A has More authority than Role B, etc...

If you four or five conflicting roles, than the system will be confused! Personally I like the simplisity of one user, one role. Of course, I'm still on XE where multiple roles doesn't work......

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

We are in final stages before 8.10 golive using a modularized multi-role security concept. We have had no problems as you described. By the way, using this functional building blocks has reduced our number of security lines by 90%.

Mike,

Just curious, did you use a third party tool to do your modularized security development? Sounds like you guys went in to the process with a solid plan rather than flying by the seat of your pants. Bravo!

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

No

We first saw the possibilities with the *all role when we had our 8.9 security class in March 2004. Our management does not like like managers to see or be able to transact against other busines units they are not responsible for. So we have to accept the pain of a lot of row security. Hence, we had over 90,000 lines of XE security with 60,000 lines of it redundant application security. We(5 of us on my staff), spent a lot of time last summer conceptualizing the building block concept to minimize redunanct lines, to manage sequence conflicts, and make security maintenance a lot more manageable. In execution we used XE security as the general guide for applications, developed a new security analysis application to analyze all role security assigned to a user, and getting intimate with the debug log to identify things we missed. It has taken a lot of time to do this. But, the payoff is <10,000 lines of security from 98,000 and a greatly enhanced maintainabilty.

Our users are testing with security in place with very positive results. Our scheduled 8.10 golive is May 16.

Back