Setting up a JAS server

OneWorld CNC

Hello,
I have been asked to sutup a HTML/JAS server. I have looked in the knowlege garden and in this list and so far I have not been able to find any white paper or other documentation for this. Any help with finding this info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
OneWorld Xe, Update 6, SP 21,
AS400, V5R2,

I tried viewing the attachment, it says that the page cannot be found. Can you please try posting it again.

Thanks

You can find the documentation for installing a JAS server where the install guides are for service packs.

While we are on the subject of a JAS server, I am running an HTML JAS server as this is what most customers are running. Since I also know IIS, has anyone setup IIS and compared performance to HTML?

WIN\SQL 2000, B8.9SP2, Websphere 5.0.2.

WinterC, Can you elaborate abit more about the HTML JAS and IIS HTML setup. Also what has your experience been with HTML JAS ?

Thanks

I would like to jump in with another question regarding JAS server. I am installing EnterpriseOne 8.9 SP2, MS JDBC SP2, to connect to SQL as the database on an Intel platform. My SQL server has a SQL Instance for the EnterpriseOne install. I am unable to connect to the JAS server when I attempt to gen the objects. Has anyone made this work with a SQL instance?

Thanks,
Ms

You either run a JAS server with HTML\WEBSPHERE or IIS\WEBSPHERE. HTML and IIS are products used to host web sites.

Ooops forgot to answer the other part of your question. I have been running with a HTML JAS server for 6 months. Initially we had major issues with a specific search screens that took way too long to load. After months of work with Peoplesoft it was linked to a bug with non-unicode and the fix was very minor. Since then the users have been reluctent to move to JAS but I am trying to convince them of the benefits. Overall it is a little slower than fat client and so far it has been stable. It will run much faster on newer PC's so don't deploy to users with PII's.

I think you need to elaborate more on your setup. For example, Is the SQL instance different from the default instance in other words is it a second instance? There are couple of ways to do the generation of web objects. I am doing a direct generation. Also, when logging in to DV9 for example you have to log into JDV9 to generate web objects. Also, security should have the J environements assigned to a role or the user ID that you log in with. Are you getting error messages?

Ms,

Each instance on SQL has a unique port number. You can find out the port of your instance by running the SQL Server Network Utility. You use the port number in the tnsnames.sql to point the datasource at the instance.

I have never been completly clear on what JDE mean by HTML or JAS server as i have been running with HTML for 3 years now on IIS and i cant see any options to run it as JAS you can configure it to run in a Portal which i have done recently but thats it basically the JAS server as it is refered to runs HTML clients

I also am a little confused with HTML and JAS. I always thought that they were the same thing. It does not make sense to me why you would run IBM HTML and IIS together. I am not running a Portal so this may be leading to my confusion. Since you are running IIS, how is it performing?

To clear up the confusion that people seem to have about the names of things:

HTML = the markup language web pages are generally written in.
HTTP = the network protocol by which web pages are transmitted.
JAS = Java Application Server. The name used in the JDE world for the whole E1-on-the-web concept.
IBM HTTP server = a version of the Apache HTTP server customized by IBM. It's a general-purpose web server.
IIS = Microsoft's HTTP server. Again, a general-purpose web server.
WebSphere = Software that runs on top of either the IBM HTTP server or IIS and allows
the execution of Java servlets for the production of an HTML-based interface.

We call the standard E1 web client "HTML" because that's what it delivers to the client,
as opposed to the "Java client" that existed in earlier service packs and actually
ran in Java applets on the user's PC.

I knew that much what I did not know is that the java client no longer works under new service packs does that mean that all the PO's in CSS APPS where you can select 1 for HTML or 2 for JAva are obsolete?
also been told today BY JDE that they don't support JAS server on IIS but only on IHS (escpecially with sp21) this is news to me anyone else found this? i am not planning to change to IBM in a hurry when My IIS is performing very well

Thank you Scotti for clarifications!
Just adding here the:
Web Server notion (missing) that is installed in the end - the main confusion comes from the JDEdwards installation interface also known as the JAS Installer - it is installing the "JDEdwards Java Application Server" on top of WebSphere.
So:
- Server Layer #3 = JAS or Web Server, on top of
- Server Layer #2 = WebSphere, on top of
- Server Layer #1 = HTTP Apache or IBM or IIS
I couldn't find a unique/ideal name for the machine that may possess different combinations, such as:
- ALL three layers = could we use "Full Web-JAS"
- Only layers #1 and #2 = say "Web Application Server"
- Layer #1 and #3 only = JAS (known as the Generator Machine)

Warm regards,

I am curious if you have found a fix to your generation error. I am setting up a jas server also and I am having trouble signing in to the database via the jas server but signing in via the fat client with the same id/password is just fine.

I have a SQL server named FRANKLIN with an instance named FRANKLIN which is where the PeopleSoft databases reside. PeopleSoft had me put another parameter in the jdbj.ini databaseInstance=FRANKLIN. That has not resolved the issue. I have upgraded the Microsoft JDBC to SP3 which is supposed to support an instance. That has not worked. I am logging into JPD9. I have tried both direct generation and through WebSphere. I get the message 'cannot log into JAS'. The message in the logs are jdbc errors connecting to the database as if it does not recognize the naming.

Thanks

winterc <[email protected]> wrote:
I think you need to elaborate more on your setup. For example, Is the SQL instance different from the default instance in other words is it a second instance? There are couple of ways to do the generation of web objects. I am doing a direct generation. Also, when logging in to DV9 for example you have to log into JDV9 to generate web objects. Also, security should have the J environements assigned to a role or the user ID that you log in with. Are you getting error messages?

As mentioned earlier a new instance of SQL requires a different port number. Since you can log onto the fat client then the port number must be listed in the JDE.INI. There is also a port # setting on the JDBC.INI, is that there?

Yes. GSS has had me go back and forth on the port number. 1st they said use the instance port which in my case happens to be 1800 but that did not work. I currently have port 1433 as the port and that is not working either.

Thanks very much for your input. You never know what might spark a revelation.

winterc <[email protected]> wrote:
As mentioned earlier a new instance of SQL requires a different port number. Since you can log onto the fat client then the port number must be listed in the JDE.INI. There is also a port # setting on the JDBC.INI, is that there?

Back