open users and sessions on my sql server

maarten westera

maarten westera

considering JDE uses a proxy server to connect to the databse why do i gets some of my users using jde apearing in my SQL server as open sessions and when they are not actually connecting directly??

anybody know

1. Look at the application column to see what program is being used to make the connection. It may not be JDE. It could be an MS Access program that makes a direct connections to the DB.
2. If it is JDE, verify that your ODBC's are configured correctly. Authentication should be set to SQL Server authentication in the ODBC link.
3. It sounds like you have a major security/integrity issue if users can connect with their own User ID's to the database and the DBA does not know what they are doing.

To emphasize Jeremy's point on integrity. Users who know a read/write userid/password to the JDE databases can easily make direct database changes through Access or Excel.

There are two ways to set up security access from EnterpriseOne to SQL Server. 1) using a standard single SQL ID which in my case is JDE with ADMIN rights. This ID is used in the USER SECURITY application for each Peoplesoft ID you create which is called the 'System User'. 2) Assign a different System User ID in SQL for each Peoplesoft user ID. I have not set up the 2nd option as it is very cumbersome to maintain two ID's for each user. Most installations use the first option. If you are using the first option make sure nobody knows the password. If you have user ID's in SQL defined as in option 2 the user should also not know the password. They should only know their Peoplesoft ID and password. If you have user ID's in SQL but use option 1 I would review these ID's as mentioned by others who have posted.

In retrospect, be very careful if you change the system user password. Make sure you understand all the implications if not call support.

Back