What IF..I do not install..JD environment

sunnyind

Well Known Member
Hi List,
Please advice me, I need your help now the most...

We are involved in customization of JDE for our clients.

Now, I am in the middel of my installation (JDE - Deployement and Enterprise Server)..off too late i realized that I am running out of space on my enterprise server (JDE file system and Database). So, to compansate my space I have decided not install PD and JD environment. Would it be fine to work on JDE with only DV and PY (+TS) environment. My work would envolve customization of objects and through product package send it to client.
I would be receiving my additional HDD soon then I guess setting up JD and PD environment wouldn't be a problem.

Please Give your valuable comments ....
Thank you all .

Sunny...

From a technical standpoint, there is nothing wrong nor any danger to not
install these path codes. You can certainly add path codes/environments
at any time (else, many like ourselves would find ourselves without
anything "fun" to do on weekends and after hours). You just have more
stuff to check and configure when you finally do get around to installing
the others.

In fact, many clients I've worked at have decided not to install PD,
rather, creating it when they got PY "almost perfect" from an object,
menu/task, setup, version level and then create the PD by copying PY.
Then they run the data conversions from legacy systems (if any) and put
in the manual data, and they're ready to go.

Jim

Sunny,

You should be fine running JDE, however before you use Product Packaging you will need to get the JD env. up an running because it is the Env. that Product Packaging uses to do it's comparison when copying DD items, UDC, Menu's Solutions Explorer tasks and such. Take a look at OTM-01-0001 regarding product packaging.

Thank you all for the tips. I am feeling a lot more confident now. Thanks ones again.
Cleolai, what if I am not packaging DD, UDC or menu items (not included in my product package). My package would consist of only objects (Interative app, UBE, BSFN etc)?
Please advice..

Sunny,

Product Packaging uses JD as the comaprison path code, I guess if you are not going to package control tables items then you can try it by using DV as the source pathcode and see what happens. I have not tried it that way, since it works wery well with JD as the source. Let us know if it woeks by using DV as the source.

Thanks Cleolai,

I have tried creating a product package with PY as the source pathcode. Everything seem to be fine. It finished off pretty fast, .mdb was created in the data folder under the temp directory but the .exe and .cab files were created in the "esus" directory under root unlike as it used to in the final under temp.
Further, I have extracted the .exe and the folder structure created seems to be fine.
What are the other ways one can test..
thanks

Back