Migrating Enterprise Server from NT4 to Win2K

patrickjolliffe

We are looking to upgrade an Enterprise Server from NT4 to W2K.
I have not been able to find much information on KG or JDEList.
I am planning to do the following steps, can anybody confirm them or make any suggestions?
If anybody who has performed the same operation could share any experience that would be apreciated.

Backup ES
Oracle files, OneWorld files and registry
Reinstall ES with W2K AS SP2
Keep the machine name and IP address
Install Microsoft Visual C++
Restore the Oracle Database on ES
Restore OneWorld directory structure on ES
Use same drive and directory as before
Restore registry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\JDEdwards
Recreate OneWorld Services
Perform PORTTEST
Build full package

I do not believe we need to do any of the following steps, but feel free to correct me:
Things I do not think we need to do
Install OneWorld on the Enterprise Server from CD
Create Custom Installation Plan
Run Installation Workbench

Regards,
Patrick

Patrick :

You're right...
You don't need to :

Install OneWorld on the Enterprise Server from CD
Create Custom Installation Plan
Run Installation Workbench

Regards, Sebastian Sajaroff
www.jdelist.com

ok - 1st of all, I am glad you are considering a reinstall of your enterprise server rather than an "upgrade". Best to be 100% safe.

You are correct in your installation steps. I would backup the system - format the machine and get it up to date with patches etc - install Oracle again, restore the database files.

For the Enterprise Server side - you could just insert the original ES CD and run setup.exe and install Oneworld on the Enterprise Server again. You will need to build and deploy a full package immediately thereafter - but you do not need to go back into the planner at all.

Its a VERY good idea keeping the same servername - although the IP address could change if you wanted (you only need to change your TNSNames.ORA)

Good luck. I'm sure everything will go extremely well.

Reinstalling everything is a LOT of work.
I successfully did an in-place upgrade from NT 4 to Win 2K. on a JDE deployment server running Oracle. Discounting the time to upgrade Oracle from 8.1.5 to 8.1.7 (which you don't have to do) it took less than 2 hours.
If you go with this approach make sure everything on the server is up to date (BIOS, RAID firmware) have all the latest Win 2K drivers for Video, RAID controller, network card(s), etc. available when you start your upgrade. Also a full backup of the ES just prior to upgrade wouldn't hurt

I have heard all the horror stories about in-place upgrades of Windows. How you should build from scratch,etc. I found this process to be effective despite all that.

Also if your ES has 4 CPU's in it (my deployment server does) and if your building from scratch you will need Win 2K Advanced server. If you do an in-place upgrade from NT4 to Win 2K it will let you use regular Win 2K Server (as NT4 supported up to 4 CPU's).

Thanks. When you say
For the Enterprise Server side - you could just insert the original ES CD and run setup.exe and install Oneworld on the Enterprise Server again. You will need to build and deploy a full package immediately thereafter - but you do not need to go back into the planner at all.

Do you mean I do not need to restore any of my pathcode directories from backup? They will be re-created when I do a full package build?

Yes it is a lot of work, but we have a window when the system can be down. We would rather be safe.
Also we want to go Advanced Server, for handling extra CPUs, memory and (from experience on JAS servers) we have also found it much stabler than Server.

Back