Client using WIN/XP

tgore

tgore

Reputable Poster
I anybody aware of any issues with OW using WIN/XP on the FAT client? We are in the process of upgrading to XP and have been haveing some "wierd" things happening on our FAT clients. Most of the things seem to revolve around OMW. Our developers are experiecing "problems" as am I (CNC Admin) while promoting projects from one enviroment to the next. Example: When I promote (from 28 to 38) sometimes it appears that "nothing" happens. If I try it a couple of times, it will finally work.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi there,

There seems to be a problem with Windows XP. Most of our Developers were complaining about this. They reverted back to Windows 2000 Prof.

The best thing that you can do is to keep your developers on Windows 2000 Prof while the end users can move to XP.

I hope your question is answered

Regards

Ghost

The reason is your service pack. I believe they made some changes in 18.1 to support Windows XP Professional correctly.

However, as the other poster stated, I also prefer to run Windows 2000 Professional instead of XP - it really doesn't give you anything except some GUI niceties - certainly as far as development is concerned.

I wish it were that simple. The new company standard is XP. Don't have a choice. It looks like I may have to apply SP 18.1.

Tim :

If you plan to use Win XP for your JDE workstations, check that
System Restore is disabled!
System Restore is a new MS b?llsh?t that automatically restores files
that were affected by a software installation (such as JDE client).
In fact, it makes package installation and checkout painfully slow and
doesn't work very well.
Regards, Sebastian

Tom,

You may want to look at moving to a service pack of 20 (whatever the current subrelease is) or higher. We went to SP20_E1 about 3 months ago because it fixed a problem in which update packages were not being accepted by Windows XP clients. The problem was actually addressed in SP20_C1, and was in response to SAR # 5690830. Here's JDE's own write-up of this fix in the SP20_E1 description document:
9) Prior to this fix, update package installs on Windows XP machines would fail during the merge of ER specs. Now, update packages can be successfully installed on Windows XP machines.

Just be sure and follow all directions, including recompressing the foundation for the client package.

As others may have replied, you need to go to at least SP 20 (with the latest one-off).

We have the Roll Back stuff turned off (as a group policy).

So far, the system is stable... and in good running order... I can accept updates and they install very timely...

One thing to note, though... There has been a lot of chatter on the Microsoft Visual Studio newsgroups, regarding installation issues on WXP SP1 machines. I did locate a fix, and posted it on the M$ Public Newsgroup...

If anyone needs the work-around, I can post it here too.

Daniel

I was told today that Windows XP is not supported until ERP 8.0 SP21. We are currently at ERP SP20_f. It seems to work, but has locked-up a couple of times when developing. Going to SP21 at this time is not an option, but would like to use features of XP (remote development). Any concerns with this?

XP seems to work okay down here.
Off course SP20 and the latest one off should be applied as stated earlier for installing update packages.
And don;t forget to turn off that system restore.

Back