Upgrade vs. Re-install

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Hey,

We have been going back and forth as to weather we should upgrade to ERP8 or re-install. We do not have any data or anything tp preserve. JDE has been telling me that we should re-install but in the process of re-installing they want's me to re-build my deployment server.

Now I know that re-installing will give a clean start to everything and I am tempted but I wanted your opinions. Do I necessarily have to re-build the Deployment server or can I simply uninstall JDE from the server, for the Enterprise can I just remove the /U01 directory structure and then re-install and for Oracle just drop the current table spaces and create new ones.

Which ever approach I take the system will be unavailable because I am doing all path codes together also JDE seems to think that if I re-install I will run into less issues because it will be clean.

Well, it shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to rebuild your Deployment Server, and if you want to make sure its clean, then thats the way to go....

Reinstall is certainly the cleanest way if you can do it - especially if you have zero data.

Of course performing an upgrade might well give you experience of the upgrade process - which, of course, will disappear entirely past ERP 8.0 (ERP 9.0 is almost completely different since the data model drastically changes)

Cleola :

If I were you, I would do a clean reinstall (formatting your Deployment
server).

Sebastian

Cleola,

I would agree with Jon and J.D. Edwards on this one. You can clean up the servers, but a rebuild will give you a much better start.

Cleo,
Glad to hear that you found a new position since leaving Elkhart Products! I too have moved on from JDE, feel free to call or Email me anytime for assistance.

The experience of going through an upgrade is very beneficial as it give you exposure to many of the aspects of CNC. However if you do not strictly Need to upgrade I would reccomend a reinstall as well, I would go one step further by completely wiping out the deployment server drive and reinstalling os and all. this will help ensure that you start off with no possible issues around disk,os,etc.

Reinstall is a straightforward task and i'd love the opportunity to help.

Scott

Cleola,

My two cents worth.

I would recommend a fresh install vs. the upgrade path. My main reasoning
is that if you do the upgrade and you have a problem, you won't necessarily
know whether it is due to the upgrade method or an actual OW problem. By
doing the fresh install, it will be easier to penpoint. I don't think you
will find a fresh ERP 8 install to take all that long anyway.

I vote for the 'fresh install' approach.

Thanks,
James

IBM Business Consulting Services
OneWorld CNC Consultant
Cell #: 612-247-1746

ToddT
<tthomsen@thestella To: James Wilson/Chicago/IBM@IBMUS
rgroup.com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Re: Upgrade vs. Re-install
owner-jdelist@jdeli
st.com

02/05/2003 12:46 PM
Please respond to
jdelist

Cleola,I would agree with Jon and J.D. Edwards on this one. You can clean
up the servers, but a rebuild will give you a much better start.
Todd R. Thomsen
ERP Manager
The Stellar Group
--------------------------
To view this thread, go to:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=49284
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+
This is the JDEList One World® / XE mailing list/forum.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found on the JDEList Forum at
http://www.JDEList.com

JDEList is not affiliated with JDEdwards®

+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+

My recommendation is to reinstall. We went from Xe to ERP 8.0 in June and the whole uninstall process for Xe combined with the reinstall process (including 2 JAS servers) took less than 4 days. Few problems and a clean start without worries of lingering issues.

We are about to update to ERP8.0 from XE. we haven't done an upgrade before and only went live in July 02.
Any feedback on the process would be great.
how long it took from install through the envs to go live.
We have a mainly vanilla system, very few mods. Was there a code freeze and for how long.

Regards

Stasy Kriaris

CNC Systems Administrator
Fosters Group (BBWE)
Phone: 03 9633 2534
Mobile: 0438 315 008
Email: [email protected]

Back