AS/400 Enterprise Server and NT App Server.

michaelpmcclure

Has anyone implemented a Windows 2000 application server alongside an AS/400 Enterprise server?

If so, could you answer a few questions for me?

1) How does the BSFN code on the app server get updated with ESU or customized code?

2) Does the app server participate in the package build process.

3) If both of the above questions are answered by "it does not", then how can the app server effectively process business logic and relieve part of the load from the enterprise server.

When you build a server package, you simply select both Enterprise Servers to build for.

Package builds would be done for both application servers...yes, I
know...you have a "ENTERPRISE" server...but same difference..when you
build packages you make sure you build one for the AS/400 and one for the
Wintel box.

As far as participation...your enterprise AS/400 and application Wintel
servers will take part in building...to some point...

And finally...the application server can effectively relieve part or all
of the load by using OCM mappings to map BSFN's and UBE's to run on it...

But that's just my opinion...I could be wrong...

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:44:25 -0800 (PST) michaelpmcclure

If so, could you answer a few questions

1) How does the BSFN code on the app server get updated

2) Does the app server participate in

3) If both of the above questions are

Hi Michael

Yes, I have done this on a number of occassions, and it is a little tricky but certainly worth the effort.

The central objects are stored on the AS400 in a DB2 database, along with the c code stored on the deployment server. When a package build occurs, the deployment server will transfer the specification files from itself to the application server, together with the source files, and trigger busbuild to build the business function libraries.

As such, the answer is that the application server certainly is involved in the package build process.

When the application server is operating, it will be using ODBC and Client Access to connect through to the database server just like any other workstation. It will relieve the processing off the main enterprise server (the AS400) through mapping logic. However, it is important to note, that not all applications will perform as well in a distributed "three tier" environment - some applications work extremely well, but others can be limited by other bottlenecks such as the network.

I hope this answers your questions.

Back