The infamous Invalid Overwrite or Read error

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
We have one specific user who is getting a lot of "Invalid Overwrite or Read" errors, and also some Application Errors in OneWorld. She works in Purchasing primarily, and lately has been getting the "Invalid..." error when she double-clicks on a menu option in OneWorld Explorer to launch R43500 on the server to print a Purchase Order. Once yesterday she was trying to run Address Book Revisions and got an Application Error.

Here's what we have tried thus far:

Reloaded our current PRODUCTION package on her PC.
Moved her from Win2000 PC to a different NT4.0 PC.
Deleted her user overrides for grid formats on P4310.
Given her a new user ID in OneWorld.

It's really strange because she is the only one here experiencing these errors (that we know of) to this degree. Yesterday she had 3 lockups, and most days she has at least 1 or 2 lockups. Does anyone have any ideas on what else might be causing this, or what else we could try to resolve these error messages? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

What version of IE and MDAC? Is this a Fat or thin client? If thin, what version of Citrix? What SP with Win2k and NT 4.0? Is there any unique SW or HW on this PC that nobody else has?

On the Win2000 PC, she is on IE 6, Win SP3, MDAC 2.7.
On the WinNT4.0 PC, she was using IE 5.5, Win SP6A, MDAC 2.7.

All our production clients are fat clients.

No, there is no unique SW or HW on either PC.

When you moved her to a diff PC, did you swap her
existing pc (at her desk) or move her to a pc at a diff
desk, so that she's not on the same patch cable?

(I don't know about you, but I'D HAVE A TOUGH TIME
RESISTING saying "Hey, it's just YOU....")

Gene

Does JDE officially support MDAC 2.7? Last I heard they were still testing
and only officially support MDAC 2.6.

Gene,

I forgot to mention that we also tried to connect her to a different switch port with a different cable. But that made no difference.

We've been telling this user not to touch anyone else's PC, just as a precaution -- luckily she has a good sense of humor. Also, we often give some of our users a bad time if they are wearing a high percentage of synthetic fiber -- under the guise that such clothing creates excessive static electricity! We have to do SOMETHING to keep from getting too upset over this system instability!

We have also seen this from time to time. We have found that when the problem follows the user to any PC, corrupted User Overrides are the cause. Delete ALL the user overrides and instruct them to test without re-creating them. (Typically the first thing we found users doing was immediately adding back in all their customizations when we tried giving them a new ID. Therefore, even though they had a new ID, their customizations were corrupting that ID as well.)

Did you try to reinstall a full package there to see if that helps.
Perhaps you can clean up 'short cuts' in the recent directory that OW places there.
Mayby delete her User Overrides?

Richard,

First, thank you for your reply. Yes, we tried a full package reinstall as one of our first things, but no luck. We also tried to delete her User Overrides but no luck there either.

Try deleting her profile form the the PC..I have had to resort to this in the past. Also have her try logging onto another user's Pc and see it he error still happens. If that does not work delete her user ID and recreate it with a different JDE userId and password. Then delete her overrides from all path codes.

I have had to re-create user ID for 2 of my users because of constant crashes that seem to not have been related to overrides, once I did thay the issue went away.

Back