Who is denomicated as "Anomymous"? on Who's Online

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Who is denomicated as \"Anomymous\"? on Who\'s Online

Hi Eric,

Now I am a bit confused, who is denomicated as "Anomymous" on Who's Online panel?

#1. Who is not logged on JDEList, but watching it?
#2. Who had set to NO the "Do you want to be visible on the "Who's Online" screen?" in her/his User's Profile, but watching it and logged in?
#3. Or BOTH?

Thanks is advance your kind answer.

Regards,

Zoltán

Re: Who is denomicated as \"Anomymous\"? on Who\'s Online

I'll take curtain 1.

Eric,

If that is the case, then how can an Anonymous user be 'Viewing their "My Home"' if they are not logged on?

Our developer stated that our pages are secure. He suggested that the on-line page has room for improvement.
tongue.gif

Eric,

Thanks for the follow-up and reply.
smile.gif

I take it that the Anonymous user 'Viewing their "My Home"' is a misrepresentation of what is actually happening. Now I'm curious - what is actually happening that is reported as an Anonymous user 'Viewing their "My Home"'?

Threads makes the on-line entry prior to transferring control to the "myhome" script. Once the "myhome" script begins execution, it performs user validation. If the validation fails, the script displays an error page but performs no additional logging to the "online" table. The "myhome" entry continues to be displayed for ten minutes.

It does seem strange that the one Asian spider that is purportedly well behaved was attempting to execute the page numerous times.

I suggest we investigate this further and see what develops. Currently, the Asian site is blocked. Let's unblock the site and see if the spider returns. If it does, I will add logic to provide transparent detailed logging of the script. This would include the incoming parameters and the data actually returned.

The online page has in my opinion a perception issue. It shows all accesses for the past ten minutes. While the crawl rate has been defined as sixty seconds, even a well behaved spider might appear as many as ten times on a single snapshot of the online data. Part of the issue is that the spider will normally cycle through a list of IP address. Since each anonymous access is logged by IP address, it appears there are numerous spiders "attacking" the site.

The page does not represent current connections but simply connections in the past ten minutes. Since the page data (or the access denied page) is returned in seconds, the result is a fair amount of "noise" in the anonymous section of the on-line page.

Securing the scripts is an on-going battle. Perhaps by investigating this issue, we can improve the data provided by the site.

Back