Where to Start?

MarcSant

MarcSant

Good mornig to all,

I made a search in the forum, and I did'nt find an apropriate answer to my question, so, I will post a new one.

Well, in the very beggining of my career, I worked as programer, and later I switched to IT infra related jobs (Windows and later Linux). Now I'm working as a JDE Developer almost 1 year, and so far I'm delivering that was asked me to do.

But, I have a solid background in infrastructure, because almost 12 years working in that. I'm not planning to go back to infra, but I'm wondering that to learn some CNC principles, like installing JDE Deployment, and the rest of servers needed to get an full JDE enviroment running.

Going right to the point: Where can I get start? How is the learning curve for learn by my self?

This is not for commercial purpose: is just for personal learning and curiosity, and is not urgent too.

I appreciate any tip or help.

Kind regards,

Marcelo.

Marcelo,

Good news, bad news. You have the right background. Infrastructure plus JDE development is a good combo for making the jump.

bad news - it's a steep learning curve and one best done through a combination of course work, manuals, and most especially hands-on access to the CNC tools. It's also helpful for a junior CNC to be part of a team and learn from senior guys. The learning curve, with training and working at the job full time is 12 to 18 months to go from no knowledge to a competant junior CNC. Then eight to ten years to climb up to the senior level.

If you do take a training class, make sure that you go back and start to apply the knowledge right away.

good luck.

Gregg

I would recommend to have the training course as soon as possible so your basic concept is clear.
Note:
there are two major category in CNC
1. System Admin which you can do quickly
2. Configuration. You really need hands on on that i would recommend have consultant apply patches/ESU for your organization and see how they do that. (You will not learn that from training.)

I was like you 2 years ago but i know now only 30% of JDE i would say.

Thanks
AD

I've been doing this for 13 years...are you calling me old (senior) Gregg? Dang, I need to start eating soft foods and buy some Depends...

A good CNC is always young in heart. A Great one is striving to learn more... The Perfect one has the previous abilities and is willing to ask for help and pitch in for assistance.

Aw Dan...can you print that and put it on a fridge magnet? In all my CNC years...even when working for the evil empire(s), never been afraid to say "I don't know". Of course then I had to call support line and they simply said...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it..."send me the logs".

Ok...so there are probably 100 CNC people, cost of printing your magnets $200, CNC people that will submit a PO in E1 to purchase magnet 100, PO's approved by E1 system 0, 67 hours of extra work for CNC to determine the rejection in the PO system is that it's a code issue; priceless.

Obrigado pessoal pelos conselhos.

Eu vou colocar essa etapa na lista de coisas a fazer em 2012.

Grande abraço,

Marcelo.

The CNC refrigerator magnets showed up on my slow moving inventory report this afternoon so I have been tasked with reclassifying them in the F4101/F4102 as Stocking Type U Obsolete...Use Up. lol

I think I still have some JDEList Button - I'll trade for any CNC Magnets....

Actually - the comment applies to, pretty-much, every considerate to employment (but, you all know that)....

Now, where do I send that JDEList Button to receive my Obsolete Magnet?

Back