Where does user's JDE.ini file come from

flee

Where does user\'s JDE.ini file come from

Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody knows where a user's JDE.ini file comes from. We are on Windows 2000 server and our users access JDE via citrix. I thought it might come from the the terminal server but that does not seem to be the case.

RE: Where does user\'s JDE.ini file come from

Check the users terminal server home directory. The JDE.ini file should be
located there.

Scott Bellefeuille
Manager Customer Financial Services
Faribault Foods, Inc.
(507) 331-1400 ext. 204
(507) 334-0243 Fax
[email protected]

Re: Where does user\'s JDE.ini file come from

We have a few users using WTS for OneWorld. Each users has a windows home drive which is a network drive. Ours is the H: drive. There is a WINDOWS folder where the jde.ini file is stored for each user. I hope this helps.

Patty

The master jde.ini is stored on the Deployment Server. When a full package is installed on the terminal server this file gets copied to c:\winnt (or c:\windows) and is called the system master jde.ini file. When a user signs on W2K compares the date stamp of this jde.ini with the jde.ini in the user's profile (either local or roaming). If the jde.ini in c:\winnt (or c:\windows) is newer it gets copied to the user's profile.

You can keep this copy from happening by doing this:

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Terminal Server\Compatibility\IniFiles

Create DWORD value named JDE
Give it a hex value of 4C

Explanation:

The compatibility bits below control .ini file propagation and are located in the following registry
subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Terminal Server\Compatibility\IniFiles\Inifile

Compatibility Bits:

Windows 16-bit application: 0x00000004

Windows 32-bit application: 0x00000008

Synchronize user .ini file to system version: 0x00000040

Do not substitute user Windows directory: 0x00000080

The "Synchronize user .ini file to system version" bit<or flag?>, when set, adds new entries from the system master .ini file when the application is started, but does not delete any existing data in the user's .ini file. The default action, if this bit is not set, is to overwrite the user's .ini file if it is older than the system master .ini file.

BOK,

How do you come up with a value of 4C? I've asked our NT group to test this in DEV but they refused. They want a more detailed explanation of what 4C actually does.

Tell them not to be silly.

"Several compatibility bits can be set for an application, registry path, or .ini file to change how a Terminal Server computer handles the merging of application initialization data when a session is in execute mode." (Terminal Server registry settings for applications. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186499)

"To determine the String Value, add the values of the bits that you want to set." (Terminal Server registry settings for applications. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=186499)

The value 4C is simply the hex representation of an addition of the compatibility bits.

The compatibility bits are:

Windows 16-bit application: 0x00000004
Windows 32-bit application: 0x00000008
Synchronize user .ini file to system version: 0x00000040

So, 4c is hex for 40 (not forty but 40 in hex) plus 08 (again, not zero-eight but 08 in hex) plus (04 in hex).

Vertical addition looks like this:

--
4c

since 4 plus 0 plus 0 equals hex 4 and 0 plus 8 plus 4 equals hex c (or decimal 12).

If you really want to have fun, open calculator in Windows, change to scientific view, select hex then add 08, 04, 40.

Now, as to the question of what 4c does:

4c does what the addition of the compatibility bits says it should do which is

1- Act as a 16 bit app if needed
2- Act as a 32 bit app if needed
3- Do not overwrite the user's ini file with the master ini file

Excellent. I trusted you from the beginning, but some folks in my department don't trust anything they don't find themselves. The funny thing is they came to me complaining about this problem, not the other way around.

Oh and by the way, since the DWORD you create is named JDE it will only affect the jde.ini file.

Yes, I explained that to them from the beginning. They are control freaks. Thanks again.

Back