When is the next version of E1 going to be released?

msouterblight1

VIP Member
We are currently on 8.12, and will be looking to upgrade. I am trying to find out what the release schedule for E1 looks like. I would hate to start an upgrade to 9.0, knowing that we will have to upgrade again within a year. I would rather wait until the next version becomes available and go to that knowing that we will have a longer time before needing to upgrade.

Does anyone have this info, or know where I can get it?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
We are currently on 8.12, and will be looking to upgrade. I am trying to find out what the release schedule for E1 looks like. I would hate to start an upgrade to 9.0, knowing that we will have to upgrade again within a year. I would rather wait until the next version becomes available and go to that knowing that we will have a longer time before needing to upgrade.

Does anyone have this info, or know where I can get it?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are quite a ways from the next major release (n.0 - Example: 10.0). They are currently rolling out updates (9.0.n - Example: 9.0.1) and the next minor release (9.n - Example: 9.1) is not scheduled until after FY11.

I'd stick with worrying about the Tools Release schedule and pushing Oracle to actually tell us (in the form of pre-release notes) what is going to be in them.

See attachment.

Attachments

• 160103-Junk.JPG
    160103-Junk.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 126
We are actually in the same situation, and have the same concerns. Full support of 8.12 ends April 2011, with Tax/Regulatory support ending April 2012. However, we really don't want to upgrade to 9.0, as full support of that ends Sept 2013 already. We just completed our upgrade to 8.12 in March 2009. If Oracle doesn't release 9.1 until FY11, that's more than 5 years after the 8.12 release, and with their full support ending 5 years after GA, it puts customers in a bind of needing to be on the latest release if they don't want to pay for Extended Support. Or is that their strategy? By the way, we are staying current on Tools Releases - we are planning on going on 8.98.3.x July 24th.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS

[ QUOTE ]
We are actually in the same situation, and have the same concerns. Full support of 8.12 ends April 2011, with Tax/Regulatory support ending April 2012. However, we really don't want to upgrade to 9.0, as full support of that ends Sept 2013 already. We just completed our upgrade to 8.12 in March 2009. If Oracle doesn't release 9.1 until FY11, that's more than 5 years after the 8.12 release, and with their full support ending 5 years after GA, it puts customers in a bind of needing to be on the latest release if they don't want to pay for Extended Support. Or is that their strategy? By the way, we are staying current on Tools Releases - we are planning on going on 8.98.3.x July 24th.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS

[/ QUOTE ]

Oracle's strategy, often stated, is to keep customers moving to a current release. They have made strides toward easier upgrades but I think that effort may be too late - organizations fear upgrades the way people fear zombies. Oracle has a long way to go to convince people that they should upgrade and move forward.

I'm all for releasing better software so they don't have to push people forward. Fix the darn bugs before release and you wouldn't have to keep pushing customers forward.

Hello!

I've seen several road map presentations from Oracle/JDE representatives in the past 9 months. In every one, they talk about their planned "release cadence" for E1.

The planned cadence for E1 is to provide an update roughly every 12 months in the Sep/Oct/Nov time frame and a full release roughly every 3 years. While all of the Oracle/JDE reps repeatedly say that they are not able to give information on specific availability dates, everything I've heard indicates that E1 9.0 update 2 should be available this Sep/Oct/Nov (calendar year 2010) and that E1 9.1 will be out in roughly Sep/Oct/Nov of calendar year 2011. This is based on the words spoken during the presentation - it's tough to get this from the road map graphic that is attached to a previous response.

In terms of support, it's true that premier support for E1 8.12 will stop in 2011 (haven't been able to find out if there is a hard stop for everyone or if each customer's end date will be different based on the renewal timing of their maintenance contract). Oracle does offer 3 years of extended support on 8.12 through April 2014 so you wouldn't be on something completely unsupported by staying on 8.12. However, each year of extended support will cost you an additional 10% per year over the previous year's maintenance fee (i.e. year 1 of extended support is 10% over what you pay now, year 2 is roughly 20%, year 3 is roughly 30%). In a presentation given on June 17, Lyle Ekdahl (group VP and and GM for JDE) stated that more and more customers are taking advantage of the extended support.

We are also planning an upgrade from 8.12. When talking to Oracle about it, we've gotten mixed messages on 9.0 vs. 9.1. Some of them say that going from 8.12 to 9.0 is a very easy upgrade, even saying that 9.0 is really just 8.13 without the "unlucky" release number. Others have said that we should wait until 9.1 to get the most out of the premier support as premier support for 9.0 will end in 2013. Obviously, each customer needs to make their own call on this.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you hear anything different.

Back