what is the process of Upgrade Project..

Sunil Rana

Hi List
I need some advice for an upgrade project. Upgrade from A7.3 to A9.3. I as a, Technical (Developer) from JDE OneWrold and has some domain knowledge for S&D.

Recently we have a request for upgrade in JDE World. upgrade from A7.3 to A9.x(we are targeting 9.3)

I have concerns which I want to share and need help
When we upgrading from lower to higher version,
1. We upgrade the Database.
2. Upgrade Application(all objects in JDE World)
3. After upgrade, we start retrofitting. We use ER compare in JDE OneWorld.
4. Then test and bug fixing

Recently I worked with Upgrade of another ERP called Agresso
a. We upgraded it from Agr553 to Agr556.
b. We utilized one upgrade utility provided by Unit4 (company owning Agresso), this helps us in upgrading database and all standard objects were updated. Agresso has very different way of storing objects and even DLL can be stored in Database.
c. All the customized objects which were stored in database as DLL were automatically updated and were available in higher version.
d. In Agresso we have concept of WINGEN(window screens ) and TOPGEN(both window and web) and serve process (Reports/UBE in JDE).
e. All tables and columns, if new tables or columns were added and if there were some tables or columns removed then it was given in a log.
f. This was easy but still we were having Functional Experts for Agr556 on board and they helped us with upgrading project.

I want to know what is the tool or utility provided by Oracle to upgrade. I want to know how we work for upgrade project.

Our client has heavy customization, lots of customized objects and changes in standard objects. I am planning to take the responsibility for upgrade but not without proper knowledge on how to do it.

I need some advice as how can we do it and suggest me what all expertise we need to have for an upgrade project.

Thanks in Advance
Sunil Rana

You will want to contact Oracle support.=C2=A0 The JDE World support group has an upgrade group to upgrade to 9.x.=C2=A0 You want to get involved with that.=C2=A0 Maybe even involve Oracle consultants if you don't know anythi ng about JDE World and os400.=C2=A0 The good news is that a JDE World upgra de is way simpler than the computing world you are used to.=C2=A0 JDE World runs only on one database, DB2/400.=C2=A0 DB2/400 gets updated in IBM oper ating system software upgrades.=C2=A0 You may have to upgrade your IBM Hard ware and operating system to move to 9.x,depending in what you are running today.That would be part of the project, but separate from JDE work.=C2=A0
=C2=A0
The big problem is going to be the customization.=C2=A0 When you customize, that makes upgrades a real pain.=C2=A0 There are various tools that can be used to try and compare RPG source code.=C2=A0=C2=A0JDE is rewriting some of their RPG code for=C2=A09.x, so that makes comparisions tougher.=C2=A0 I would suggest looking at ways to remove custom code.
=C2=A0
John Dickey=C2=A0

Back