WebSphere in same OS instance as JDE App Server

cmanderson

VIP Member
How many of you are running WebSphere on the same OS instance as the JDE application server? If you are doing this, is it an AS/400, Windows or UNIX platform? Any issues?

Charles,

I did this on a Windows Box, 8.11 , 8.94 TR , WAS 5.0.2. No problems in setting it up. Works fine. This is however a test box and not a production server

Hi,

We run everything on iSeries (AS/400) boxes; one for DV/PY and one for PD. One issue is the amount of memory our system admins have had to add to the WebSphere memory pool -- 25 GB in production. It is not as much overkill as you would think. We run four web servers, three in a vertical cluster in the pool and each has an average heap allocation of nearly 2GB. Prior to getting a POC for Xe SP23 J1, the heap would spike to 9GB and eventually drop down to "normal". Our memory utilization is much higher than the benchmarks, but that may be because we run lots of modules with many customizations.

Wayne

I did it on Windows Platform - EO 8.11 SP1 8.95_F1 - UDB 8.2

No problem and good performance (10 users in PD environment)
serevr - HP Server 2 CPUs and 4G RAM

Gigi

Thanks for the replies - anyone using UNIX in this configuration? I'd rather not do that if I don't have to - but there may be infrastructure reasons for us to do so.

We are (but we have other JAS servers on Unix and Linux) on an AS400, first with 8.11 and now 8.11 SP1. It is fine, you can play with your memory pools and adjust resources of your jdenet and websphere subsystems...

I don't think you get any "native" database connection advantages for using JDBC to the same box. So WebSphere on the 400 ends up being way slower compared to Windows and Unix.

There was one problem on putting them on the same box earlier and I think it may have gone away now... But if you use earlier 8.94 TR, the problem was Verity! The platform pack and the enterprise server had installed one instance, then the JAS simply wouldn't install, or would create endless symbolic links and screw-up all environment variables for the Verity locations.

I think Oracle is altogether dropping the Verity project and newer tools releases don't seem detect existing Verity locations.

Back