Web Sphere

Kimbrell

Can I get some feedback on the different versions of Web Sphere, and recommendations on the versions we should use when implementing CRM?

I think the answer is as follows.

IBM has ceased (or is about to cease) support of Websphere 3.5. I'm not sure if you can still get 3.5 - but if this is important to you (support from IBM) then steer clear of this product.

Websphere 4.0 now ships in two different flavours, Single Server edition is primarily for those users wishing to only run one websphere server - the configuration is stored locally on the server. Enterprise Edition is designed for a more scalable enterprise architecture - where the configuration is stored at the database level. From JDE ERP's perspective, there is very little performance difference when only one server is used - but there is a large price difference. Really this is based on how many users you plan to have connect concurrently to your web solution. ERP scales to around 70-80 concurrent users for a standard Quad Processor Intel box with lots of memory !

Websphere 5 has just arrived - and I am unsure when JDE will support this new product.

Back