Web Client Disconnects for remote users

radi8

Well Known Member
We are not a big shop and have a limited number of users on our web server which is sized to handle alot more users than we currently have. Never the less, we are experiencing some unusual intermittent connectivity issues with remote users.
1. Users will get a web page in the main window stating that the page cannot be displayed.
2. IE cannot open the selected page

Both messages come while the user is in an open session. Sometime clicking on the refresh button will resolve the problem (but loose any data), other times the user needs to re-log JDE. This happens with either IE6 or IE7, and ONLY on remote users.

We have verified that the remote sites are up, that there is plenty of bandwidth, the servers are not processing anything unusual, the servers have plenty of drive space, cpu, and memory available, etc... We have followed all prescribed server settings for optimizing delivery(as far as we can tell), etc...

We are out of ideas and need to resolve this problem.

This did not start happening until we upgraded to TS8.97.2.2 and also WebSphere 6.0 with the new IBM Apache.
Current setup:
E811 SP1 on Windows Enterprise Server
MS-SQL 2K
Websphere 6.0

Hi,

Do you have any anti-spyware software on your Web clients?
I had exactly the same issues and were solved after
removing anti-spyware software on Web clients.

All users on the network use Symantec Corporate Anti-virus. Other than that, I do not believe that the users have anything unusual on their local machines.

I will look at a few of them to be sure though.

Hi,

Check also for stuff such as Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, etc... that may interfere with JDE Web client activity.

I have been monitoring their activity (with their permission of course) using VNC, and even with VNC running in the background it still ran very smoothly.

Non of the users I have inspected, all of which have had this issue, are using any anti-virus other than the Symantec Corporate AV.

We have installed the Microsoft fix for opening up 10 concurrent downloads on all machines. This helped to resolved other issues. So, we are opening plenty of download connections.

Also, we only authorize the GOOGLE toolbar, and have our internal site set as a trusted site within.

when monitoring with VNC, are you seeing the issue - or is the issue occurring and THEN you monitor them with VNC ?

This looks to me like some sort of DNS issue. Possibly on the Server side, but more likely on the Clients.

Unless of course it's AV scripts interfering as Sebastian Sajaroff suggested...

I did see it occur once when monitoring with VNC. And, since VNC is very sensitive to network connections and did not drop, I am starting to believe that this is a client side issue somehow. The sad thing is that not everyone who gets this problem actually reports it, so I am not sure how pervasive it really is and also if the issue arises on multiple machines at the same time. I am trying to collect that data also.

Hi,

That was exactly the message I had.
Please, try removing that Google Toolbar from a couple of
Web users.

Ditto - we have had problems with Google Toolbar also on our web clients.

aaaaargh!
shocked.gif
not my google toolbar! no, take a kidney instead!

The error messagebox is on the client side and reads as follows:
Internet Exporer cannot open the Internet site http://<webserver>:<port>/<jde url>
operation Aborted

I believe that these errors are being generated as follows:
1. User opens an application
2. While the application is loading, the user clicks (several time) on the spot where the 'Find' button will be located
3. When the find button is 'painted', that event is fired before the page is loaded completely
4. The Error occurs (see above)
This problem is applicable to remote sites because of prorogation delays (basic physics). It takes more time to load the pages on remote sites than it does on the main host site. Since the users are very adept at their jobs and know exactly what they need to do, and how to do it, they are keenly aware of where these buttons are before they are loaded.
I am looking for a solution to this issue from Oracle. But, in the mean time, if you experience this error, click OK on the message box and then either press ‘F5’ on your keyboard or click on ‘Refresh’ from the internet Explorer toolbar. In most cases the page will be restored and you can continue working. In some rare instances, you may need to re-log JDE and start over.

Back