Vocab override vs. Data Dict change

DeRay_Scholz

When making changes to descriptions, such as address book category codes, is it safer to make the changes in vocabulary overrides or in the data dictionary column/row description?

Are you more likely to lose the changes during an upgrade using DD change vs. vocab override?

Just curious to hear all of your suggestions/ experiences.

Thanks,
DeRay Scholz

DeRay,

be aware that DD descriptions are not always used by an application. In many cases these descriptions have been overridden at the application form level - thus requiring you to change the object text on the form itself or to use Vocabulary Overrides. I tend to shy away from Vocab Overrides as it has screwed up forms for me a time or two ... but I'm sure others have had success with it ;)

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6

DeRay,
At first three questions:
1.) What is your release level of OW? (I suppose XE based on your previous issue)
2.) Which language are you using OW with? (blank=Domestic English, E=English or something other e.g we use HU=Hungarian)(I suppose, blank=Domestic because you are in US)
3.) What kind of upgrade do you think (release level change, SP, ESU, etc.)?

Take care changing Alpha/Row/Column descriptions in DD. It will affect all forms and reports where they are not overriden further, Selection and Sequencing windows and many others.
Please, answer my two questions let me able to help you more.
These are very important circumtances and I haven't time to write something for all numerous combinations.
Thanks,
Zoltán
P.S.: have you tried the method to clear your default project that I advised to you replying your previous issue? Please, let me know that does it work for you?

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Re: RE: Vocab override vs. Data Dict change

Which type of English?
What is the value in the Langugag Preference field of your user profile?
<blank> = Domestic OR E = English
Zoltán

Re: RE: Vocab override vs. Data Dict change

DeRay,
In this case, unfortunately I don't know that will you lose your overrides or not but I have a coin for you.
1.) Create a new Language Code (UDC: 01/LP) with a value e.g. "XE".
2.) Copy all of your override records changing the value of LNGP (Language Preference) from blank to XE.
It can make a chance to preserve it for the future and restore it later.
Zoltán

Back