Vertex Query

PAULDCLARK

Well Known Member
I’ve been a Europe\Australia based consultant and have therefore not come across the joys of Vertex for Sales Tax only (don’t need the payroll bit)

I’m currently going through the process of discovery on the product and it doesn’t look to be a terribly complex install. However I do have two queries:

1) According to Oracle, the MTR for EnterpriseOne Vertex is the Q series software. North America potentially would like to use the O series software. According to the Vertex documentation, it states that O Series integrates into JDE. Is anyone using O series with EnterpriseOne (8.12 SP8.97) rather than Q series and does it work?

2) JD Edwards is located in the United Kingdom, but there is an elderly copy of Vertex which is updated in NA. For preference I would rather not have two copies of Vertex in the same organisation, ignoring licensing issues, what I have in mind is this:

A master copy of Vertex (Conforming to JDE MTRs) is installed and updated in NA. (Its being used by another application and use may extend, hence the O series question)

Databases are replicated from NA to UK via SQL replication

Vertex Exes are installed on the JDE servers, pointing at the replicated databases.

Again has anyone tried anything like this? The prospect of running ODBCs over a WAN for BSFN calls was something I have said no to.

Thanks all

You have a lot of questions in here. Here goes.

As of Jan. 2009:

1. Vertex OSeries is not supported by JDE Support for either E1 or XE.
2. Vertex QSeries is supported by JDE Support with E1 and XE. The QSeries interface is built into the base product delivered by JDE.
3. Vertex OSeries is supposed to be supported with JDE E1 by US Vertex Support.
4. The Vertex OSeries interface to JDE E1 can only be purchased from Vertex Support and there is a price.
5. Vertex Support will only provide the OSeries interface if you hire one of their authorized consultants to install it.
6. You will have to deploy an instance of Vertex OSeries on a web services server (J2EE). This web server should be as close to your JDE Enterprise Server as possible for performance.
7. The TDM app (.exe) can be run just about anywhere. There is a an export that gets imported to your web services server.
8. If you can avoid replicating the database, you should.

Hope this helps.

Fantastic and comprensive answer, many thanks for that.

It confirms my suspicions, and a locally updated Q series is the way forward for what we need to do. Anything else is overly complex, but I have tp go through the motions as money is somewhat tight at the moment!

Thanks again

Make sure you have a strong anchor person who knows and understands Vertex TDM (Tax Decision Maker). Tax compliance is dynamic and so should your kno wledge of TDM. It won't be set it and forget it...

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On B ehalf Of PAULDCLARK
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Vertex Query

I've been a Europe\Australia based consultant and have therefore not come a cross the joys of Vertex for Sales Tax only (don't need the payroll bit)

I'm currently going through the process of discovery on the product and it doesn't look to be a terribly complex install. However I do have two querie s:

1) According to Oracle, the MTR for EnterpriseOne Vertex is the Q series so ftware. North America potentially would like to use the O series software. According to the Vertex documentation, it states that O Series integrates i nto JDE. Is anyone using O series with EnterpriseOne (8.12 SP8.97) rather t han Q series and does it work?

2) JD Edwards is located in the United Kingdom, but there is an elderly cop y of Vertex which is updated in NA. For preference I would rather not have two copies of Vertex in the same organisation, ignoring licensing issues, w hat I have in mind is this:

A master copy of Vertex (Conforming to JDE MTRs) is installed and updated i n NA. (Its being used by another application and use may extend, hence the O series question)

Databases are replicated from NA to UK via SQL replication

Vertex Exes are installed on the JDE servers, pointing at the replicated da tabases.

Again has anyone tried anything like this? The prospect of running ODBCs ov er a WAN for BSFN calls was something I have said no to.

Thanks all

8.12 XU1 - SP8.97.1.2 - OAS 10.1.3.1 - SQL Server 2000 SP4

Re: RE: Vertex Query

That sounds ominous...

PM in th US went to the sales guy, who naturally pushed the O series.

Is there anyone out there using the O series connector?

Back