v5r2 with JDE SP17

DannyMc

We are running SP17.1 with Update 6 at v5r1. We want to upgrade our hardware but some of the hardware requires v5r2. You all know the JDE stance on this and I'm sure you also know that the recommended service packs from JDE (SP20 and SP21) are garbage.

My boss and I are ready to grit out teeth and just put v5r2 over SP17.1 as is but our Director is not so eager. He wants to know if anyone is running OneWorld XE SP17 with OS/400 v5r2. What were or have been your overall experiences with this? While it is not supported, is it stable?

Any information you could provide would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Danny Mc?

Hello Danny,
I got te information from acompany here in Germany that they had serious problems with V5R2 and Sp18.1. They had to change to SP20_Q1 and have less problems. This SP is also several issues, but it´s more stable then SP18.1.
I know, you were asking for information regarding V5R2 and SP17.1 but maybe it helps.
Regards

Herbert

Hello Danny,

we do not recommend to upgrade to v5r2 as long as IBM hasn't fixed all its problems with the database and the performance.

To get rid of the most serious performance issues you have to move to SP20+highest OneOff as I can see it now. We tested SP21 but we had bad experience with it.

Database issues are mostly related to machine code errors on the AS/400 database. A team of IBM developers in Rochester and technical experts at JDE work very close together, because there are a couple of modules in the OneWorld SP that cause those errors. The result is a new PTF from IBM!
At least wait until JDE/IBM update the APARS for v5r2.

regards

Thomas

My experience has been that if I did something not supported by JDE, I didn't get support. V5R2 is a big upgrade, even from V5R1, I wouldn't risk not having support.

Thomas,

What are the problems you have run into on SP21. We had to go to it because we upgraded most of our FAT client workstations to WIN/XP. We ran into a few problems with printing, but they went away when we applied SP21F1. We hae been experiencing some "disappearing windows" in our custom built applications. Are those the problems you have encountered?

Tom

Tom,

we had problems with machine code errors from the OS/400 operating system. As you know the JDE middleware uses server programs like the JDEKRNL. In those programs you´ll find modules which contain procedures. Some of those procedures don't run properly with v5r2.

It's very easy to detect reports which run into those errors. You only have to look into the job logs and there you'll find the error codes, the proceudre and module involved, etc...

We have problems with the

R42800
R4617
R09801
R42500
R42620

All reports run on a fat client or under v5r1. They cause problems with v5r2. We tested those reports with sp20 and sp21 with the latest one offs.

This is more or less an IBM database/operating system problem in juncting with the JDE middleware.

I haven't seen happening anything like this before. IBM provided a new PTF. We installed it last weekend on our test system. Looks like it has fixed the problems, but we will know until the end of the week.

Additionally you will have performance issues while moving to v5r2. We have measured that our current unprotected storage for temporary objects and machine data on the system simply doubled!!
We are not sure what the problems are in detail. It looks like a driver problem with the iSeriesAccess ODBC database driver - something like memory leakage or open tables not closed, etc..

regards

Thomas

Thomas,

What PTF did IBM/JDE have you install?

I am having the EXACT same problems that you are and I have been trying to convince IBM and JDE. So far, I have installed the latest CUM (released April 7) and several separate PTF's that address OneWorld requirements, and memory leaks on OS/400. There are also a host of ODBC problems that are resolved by service pack SI07676 for CAE, and then a separate DLL to be downloaded via IBM's FTP site.

Still, I am having performance issues in OneWorld, and temporary workspace growth up to 15% of my DASD.

If you would like, we can compare PTF's/patches/etc.

Thanks

Ryan Hunt

Hi Danny

This thread has probably run its course already - but I wanted to shove in my tuppence worth !

I know that IBM has had a couple of issues on V5R2 that are being addressed by a number of PTF Fixes - I have been implementing a OneWorld co-existence implementation on Xe Update 7 with V5R2 and there are a number of spurious issues that I have seen with this new OS.

However - I strongly recommend moving to a later service pack before migrating to V5R2 - SP17.1 certainly had a number of issues in the past (15.1 was great, 18.1 was great - but 17 and 19 were terrible) - SP20 is a very reliable service pack, but if it is not possible to get a copy of this service pack (they discontinued download on the KG) then you're going to have to get SP21.

I don't believe SP20 or SP21 are garbage - they have both been extremely stable - SP21 has a couple of known "issues" with posting (which really are not issues - they just require an ESU applied) - but SP20 has probably been the best service pack I've ever seen on OneWorld for its reliability and stability. Certainly much, much better than SP17.1 - so if you're happy with that release, SP20 will be much better.

Good luck with your upgrade - if I were in _production_ doing this, I would probably wait another month or so to hear from the IBM team...

Hallo Ryan,

In the KG you'll find some PTFs if you search für V5R2 and JDEMATH.

our SARs in the KG are:

6628704 Completed
6628691 Completed
6628683 Completed
6628675 Completed
6628333 PROD/JDF Test or Review

IBM PTF MF 30539

regards,

Thomas

Thanks for the info Thomas. You also mentioned that you were having performance issues due to your steep increase in unprotected storage. I have the same issue, but an even bigger issue getting IBM or JDE to acknowledge that it is a problem. Have you had better luck?

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan, run the dbmon against jobs that are showing performance problems. You probably need an index or two built. I ran this and found problems with the systables index. Ibm gave me two SQL statements to run. These indices can go into any library, but IBm signed on my system and created a library called qibmpatch. These indices should be included in the next database group ptf.
CREATE INDEX QIBMPATCH/QIBMIDX2 ON QSYS/QADBIFLD (DBILFI)
CREATE INDEX QIBMPATCH/QIBMIDX ON QSYS/QADBKFLD (DBKLB2)

We also have OneWorld co-existence on Xe Update 7 with V5R2
I am unable to get R09801 to post successfully - we will update the AS400 with the latest PTF and hopefully this will sort out the problem
Are there any other problems that you've encountered????

bitsrc,

What OneWorld SP level are you at? I believe there is a problem with R09801 with SP 19.1. If you are using SP19, SP19.1, or SP20 I think your fix will come from JDE, not IBM.

Regards.

Ryan Hunt

Just a FYI, SP 20_G1 I believe was the first that supports V5R2, GSS has
stated to me in the past, do NOT attempt to run V5R2 with any earlier SP
release.

Regards,

Jim

We are on PS 21

Regard.
Rene

######################################################################
DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Please immediately contact by email: [email protected] or
+27 (0)41 402 4100 if you have received this message in error. Thank you.
######################################################################

Back