Upper Case vs Proper Case

Randall_Whiteman

Does anyone have a whitepaper containing an impartial comparison (pros and cons) of holding data in JDE in UPPER CASE vs Proper Case?

I'm interested in Item and Customer information, specifically around the impact on efficiency of searching for items when Item Descriptions are held in upper or proper case. Also, this is related to an implementation of E1 9.0

Thanks,
Randall.

Randall,

don't know of any white paper. With Oracle DB case is an issue as you identified and the 2 big ones are Item Descriptions and Customer Names.

This primarily becomes a problem in Searching and Sorting.

Long ago we chose to force Item Descriptions to become UPPER CASE but left the Address Book ALPHA field Mixed case.

The Address Book application has a special filter for searching the ALPHA field which utilizes a hidden search field in the AB table the compresses the text (removes spaces) and converts to UPPER CASE for searching against. Therefore you don't really need to force UC on the Alpha name field.

Hi Randall,

This is a fairly common question, due to the rather annoying habit of the QBE being case sensitive for these fields.

For the item master, the approach I have found most useful is to use Proper Case for the description fields, and UPPER CASE for the search text field. This gives you the best of both worlds, leaving your item descriptions more useful for documents (e.g., invoices, PO's, etc.), while allowing simpler search capability.

You can take a similar approach with the address book, setting the alpha name field in UPPER CASE, and the mailing name in Proper Case. This requires some extra keystroke effort at data entry (if done manually). As noted by another responder, you can also use the indexing function of the address book to eliminate the issue with case sensitivity.

I hope this helps.

Eric.

Hi Randall, and Larry,

On our XE systems, our special national characters as "á, é, í,... etc.) did not coverted to capital letters (Á, É, Í,... etc.) in the compresed description. - it is an other trouble for us. :-(
Just an addition.

Regards,
Zoltán

Back