Terminal Server Question - and not about W environments!

JMast

Reputable Poster
All,

We are looking to add a terminal server to our fat client environment for a small number of users on the road. Way back when I was a CNC consultant (2001 and prior), we used the W environments. In reading the List, I have been convinced we no longer need to do that. So, my question is this: Do we need to set up the server through an installation plan as a terminal server or do we just treat this box as another fat client in JDE? In other words, are there technical/setup issues that make it different from a fat client?

Thanks for teaching an old dog new tricks!

Jer

You don't need to add the terminal server to the plan at all - just install the terminal server just like any other fat client (just remember to use the Add/Remove programs or "CHANGE USER /INSTALL" prior to installing).

For a development terminal server - check out my website for the whitepaper - or check out my post under "tips and tricks" for a simple synopsis.

The only difference between a terminal server and a regular fat client is the location of the JDE.INI and the location of the Log files.

Woof Woof!

Alpha Dog Quarkie is correct. No need for a special definition. Also, no need for a W environment. Just treat the terminal server like a big old fat client. The only this that we did was an OS trick. We set up a configuration to make sure that the JDE.INI was located in the user's home directory, on the individual terminal terminal servers. Previously, the ini was written to the users home directory on a file server. This works fine on a lan, but when you added in a WAN, there was a considerable delay in the login time.

Gregg

Same here. For WAN users, we publish this script instead of activConsole.exe:

@echo off

REM Batch file to launch activConsole.exe

set HOMEDRIVE_ORIG=%HOMEDRIVE%
set HOMEPATH_ORIG=%HOMEPATH%
set HOMEDRIVE=C:
set HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%

start C:\B7\system\Bin32\activConsole.exe

set HOMEDRIVE=%HOMEDRIVE_ORIG%
set HOMEPATH=%HOMEPATH_ORIG%

All,

Thanks for the quick and most helpful replies! It is good to run with the JDEList pack!

Jer

Back