Supplier Invoicing Conundrum

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
Our A/P department has been pulling out their hair over dealings with a few suppliers and their invoicing practices. I thought I'd check and see if anyone else has run into this type of issue and/or if you have any suggestions on how best to deal with this.

We order servers and workstations from a major computer manufacturer, with a server and/or workstation being a single line on our PO. The supplier, however, breaks that single line into about 10 to 20 components in their system. As long as all of this ships, we're ok. In some cases, however, they may ship everything for a computer except 1 or 2 components, and they'll invoice us only for what's been shipped. For instance, let's say I order 1 computer for $3,000. The supplier wasn't able to ship a mouse and keyboard (say with a combined value of $50) with the rest of the computer for some reason. We receive in the 1 PO line, which puts the entire PO line/amount into our Unvouchered Liability account. Then the supplier invoices us for $2,950. If we just voucher the PO line and change the dollar amount to $2,950, then the other $50 will go into PPV, and we won't show the unvouchered liability as such any more. We'd like to somehow keep the $50 as still open and available for a future match.

Any ideas on how best to deal with this?

Please specify if you are using a J line type on your purchase order. If
you do not put a value in the quantity field, you could pay partials. If
you are using a S line, you might need to use kits.

Guy Robert
Syntax.Net

We also use J line types entered with only an extended cost for that type of purchase. That allows you to pay a partial. Is there any reason you can't use J line types? I thought S line types were only used when you needed an interface to inventory, but that could just be in my world.

1. Lump sum amount i.e. entering the extended cost without the quantity will solve your issue.
2. In your example you have mentioned Computers. They normally will not go to stock unless you are manufacturing or distributing it yourself which does not seem to be the case. So why use S line type and not J.
3. Another option will be while voucher match, match off the PO line with 3000 dollars, enter another line with a '4' in option field, enter the account as liability account on the line with the amount as -50 dollars. This will additional line on the voucher match screen. So the vendor will be paid 2950(3000 - 50) for this invoice. This will create a line in PO(F4311).

when the 50 dollar invoice comes in 'do a payment without match' and set off the 50 dollars in the liability account.

You could also see this Supplier ledger Inquiry that you paid him 50 dollars less. You could reference old voucher number on the new one.

Back