String longer than 99 characters in 8.12

NewToJDE_PB

I am trying to create a string of about 150 characters. When done in 8.0, we've used DD item VAR1 to create an event rule variable and concatenated the values and assigned it to this variable. However, when we do the same in 8.12, the variable did not take more than 99 characters, though the size of the DD item was 5000. I also took smaller sized string DD items (800,200 etc) and tried to assign more than 99 characters, but it wont let me do that. Please let me know if there is any way in which I can achieve this.

I have been using VAR1 as a general purpose very large string for several years and in many versions including in 8.12. It is great for creating records to export to flat files and other places where you need a large string. i have never run into size limitations like this. I would evaluate the method that you are using to create the string. Maybe the limitation is in the way you are assigning it to the VAR1 variable.

I tried assigning a value to it in 2 ways:
1) Normal variable assignment, where I went into the f(x) tab while assigning values to a variable and assigned a string of length more than 99 characters within " "
2) Using concat text function, concatenated 2 evt variables that were of length < 99, but their total length exceeded 99.

Kindly advise.

Hi!
How are you verifying this 99 char limitation? On debug? On a form edit? Table field? Is it possible that the display is limited to 99, not the actual variable?

Just in case.
wink.gif

I'm not sure I understand your first situation..

I believe you have
A(150) = Concat(B(99), C(99))
I am pretty sure option x will work if not option y.

Option x:
D(150) = B(99)
A(150) = Concat(D(150), C(99))

Option y:
D(150) = B(99)
E(150) = C(99)
A(150) = Concat(D(150), E(150))

I think I have seen where the concat moves the string into a B' type of variable before moving it into A and that truncates it. If this is the case, then option x should work.

Ben again,

Trim your variables BEFORE conactenating them; something like
VAR = concatenate (rtrim(var1_A,' '),rtrim(var1_B,''))

Back