Strange Log Entries

Gergely_Pongracz

Well Known Member
Hi All!
A Colleague Sent me a jde.log which contained some really strange entries. The original problem was some kind of memory violation error during Sales Order Entry on an Xe installation.
As far as I remember this error message appeared only in really difficult cases...
I got the following entry:
2348/580 Wed May 28 09:33:49 2003 RTK_FMAT638
RUN0000036 - Number to large, converting to largest legal value.
Old String: 500
Old Length: 3
Old Decimals: 0
New String: 9999999999999999
New Length: 16
New Decimals: 0

Does anybody know the reason for this?
Regards:
Gergely Pongrácz
e-Best Consulting, Hungary

Gergely,
I had this exact error after installing Update 6 on my PC. I was entering the customer service inquiry (P4210).
I had, in XE base, made changes to P4210 and when the update was installed it wiped out some of my changes. Once I used the source compare to re-install my changes this went away.
Regards,
Dave

Hi Dave,
So you mean that UPD 6 merged with your modifications so that it caused some strange errors? If I think of it this is quite strange... If the update replaces the object entirely it should work all right the standard way, if it leaves your changes it should work correctly the modified way... If we assume that part of your modifications remained there the application should have had more significant problems as well.
Any opinion?
Regards:
Gergely Pongrácz
e-Best Consulting, Hungary

I have seen these often in logs going back to B732, usually in logs for UBE's - SOE Invoice Print for example. The message whilst indicating that it has changed the value - seems to be spurious since the correct values did appear on the report produced

Gergely,
Yes, only some of the modifications that I made to the base code stayed there. For example I added a field called profit percentage to the Customer service inquiry. The field itself was missing from the display but the calculation event rules stayed there.
This is what was causing the error. After re-adding the field to the grid and then re-hooking the event rules all was well.
I actually thought this was not too much effort once I figured what happened.
Dave

Back