SQL2005 Service Pack 3

Bartek Czupa

Bartek Czupa

MTR for SQL database:

SQL Server 2005 SP2 with cumulative update 6 is supported with Windows 2003 (Applying the Latest Available Cumulative Update From Microsoft is Recommended)

There is now one word if Service Pack 3 for SQL 2005 is supported.

I would like to know if those of you people running SQL2005 on production do strictly follow MTRs and keep your SQL 2005 installation at SP2 + update6 or rather go with newest SP3?

I’m setting up new installation 8.11 SP1 + Update2 + some post update2 ESUs (not exactly fix-current) with new functionality from Tools 8.98 and wonder if SP3 is OK to start with as I did not test it on any existing installation

Thank you for yours opinion

I checked on the MTR page a couple of days ago and did not see a statement of support for SQL 2005 SP3 from Oracle.

[ QUOTE ]
MTR for SQL database:

SQL Server 2005 SP2 with cumulative update 6 is supported with Windows 2003 (Applying the Latest Available Cumulative Update From Microsoft is Recommended)

There is now one word if Service Pack 3 for SQL 2005 is supported.

I would like to know if those of you people running SQL2005 on production do strictly follow MTRs and keep your SQL 2005 installation at SP2 + update6 or rather go with newest SP3?

I’m setting up new installation 8.11 SP1 + Update2 + some post update2 ESUs (not exactly fix-current) with new functionality from Tools 8.98 and wonder if SP3 is OK to start with as I did not test it on any existing installation

Thank you for yours opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

ups there is a mistype:

[ QUOTE ]
There is <font color="red">now</font> one word if Service Pack 3 for SQL 2005 is supported.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that there no one word about SP3

[ QUOTE ]
... There is now one word if Service Pack 3 for SQL 2005 is supported. ...

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he meant to say NOT, instead of NOW.

If you go to the download page for SQL Server SP3 (here), there is this little passage in the fine print:

[ QUOTE ]
Note: SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (SP3) is designed to run on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. For more information about installing and running SQL Server 2005 on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, see this Microsoft Web site.

[/ QUOTE ]
If such is the case, then I don't expect to see it officially supported until Windows 2008 is supported, supposedly around Tools Release 8.98.1.0.

As for the other question, I may play around with an unsupported SP in DV or PY, but I wouldn't put it in Production until it hits the MTRs. You risk having Oracle tell you your configuration is not supported, and not able to get help from them.

Back