SQL Server 2000 SP4 Issues

dschlieder

Well Known Member
Just a heads up. I upgraded our SQL Server to SP4 over the weekend. At first glance all appeared okay.

However on Monday we noticed a number of issues where some queries and processes run much slower.

This issue is most notable with processes outside of JDE where the IT department queries the data for reporting / data warehousing and other purposes. Some of these processes will not even complete anymore.

There are a number of threads on MS TechNet, www.sqljunkies.com and www.sql-server-performance.com that talk about this issue.

My recomendation would be to NOT install this SP unless there is something in it that you really need to have.

Regards, Dave Schlieder

Dave,

Unfortunately for me, I checked the forums, that you mentioned, a bit too late - there are no active discussions of this subject there now, or I was unable to find any.

Would you happen to have MS KB article numbers, or URL's of any old posts discussing this or, better still, any known resolutions? I would greatly appreciate your information.

Alex,

As it turns out my posts on www.sql-server-performance.com got lost - they were changing servers during that time frame.

If you issue is with AWE then that is a known issue as Bro pointed out.

If not and it is with processes outside of JDE such as queries through linked servers, MS kind of ackowledges that maybe there is an issue but .... nothing firm the last time I looked.

So I rolled back - not too painful of a process if you have the backups you need of master, msdb and model.

Regards,

Dave Schlieder

Thank you both for your comments.

I do not currently have any customers on SP4 (luckily), but SP3 is not much better. In fact it also has an AWE issue - KB332004, so it's either 50% of memory (SP4), or 50% of CPU (SP3), it seems ;-) Plus, SP3 has lots of other performance-related bugs I'd like to get rid of...

Back