SQL Replication

techmgr

We are trying to implement some sort of replication between two W2K enterprise servers, in remote locations, each with their own instance of SQL7.0.

I am looking for others out there that have implemented data replication with SQL Server 7.0 and OneWorld.

OneWorld Xe SP17 Update2 on W2K with HTML.

Hi there!

I haven't implemented SQL replication with OneWorld just because it
would demand huge bandwidth resources.
Why would you need replication? Wouldn't you prefer to use thin
clients for your remote location?
If you need extra reliability, you may put a SQL cluster on your
central location using RAID 0+1 disks.

Sebastian Sajaroff

Re: RE: SQL Replication

With this implementation we have two remote sites and are looking for semi-high availability and fail over. The secondary server needs to be replicated more often than the once a day we are doing it now. We thought about clustering, but MS discourages it over a WAN.

Re: RE: SQL Replication

We have been using SQL replication with OW for quite some time. However we only actually use one enterprise server in normal production. The other is used only for failover or when maintenance is required to the main server. The set up works well and enables us to deliver 24x7. We also had a day of running on the failover server as part of DR test and that also was trouble free.
I don't fancy your chances of using both enterprise server simultaneously if that is your desire. There would be a major issue about OW next numbers unless you carefully divided your apps. between servers.
Also using SQL replication requires that tables have unique primary keys defined - which OW doesn't do so you have to add and maintain these separately.

Back