Solution Explorer "Job to Execute" & "Version"

Krofire.com

Krofire.com

Reputable Poster
Solution Explorer \"Job to Execute\" & \"Version\"

Dear 'List,

I have a couple of questions about Solution Explorer after having played with it for a while:

1st question: Does anyone know of a way to get the View Pane to show Menu option "Job to Execute" and "Version"? (I know I can click on each Task and then view the Job and Version in a separate Pane but this really isn't good enough. As someone who performs lots of 'Menu' Task setup I need to be able to locate the Program, on a Menu, at glance rather than click on each one.) I have observed Super-users stare at the screen trying to locate the Program they want from its Description. I suppose I could put the Program/Version into the Task Description, but most of the Users probably don't want to see this...

2nd question: has anyone a good tactic for Task Naming that helps them build Menu Tasks? For example, if I want to create a 'Menu' Task and the first program is P48013/ZJDE0001 then I can't just add "P48013" and "ZJDE0001"... I have to create a 'Program' Task. It looks as if I have to call the Task "P48013/ZJDE0001" so that I know what it is in order to apply it. Then I want this Task to have a different Description depending upon which Menu Task the Program Task it is on...

I like the idea of reusable Tasks but the technical/apps community, who have to set this all up, will always use Programs and Versions as their core objects as they are the things that do stuff. 'Tasks' appear a level removed from that. I would appreciate greater transparency through the task to what it does. Anyone agree?

Re: Solution Explorer \"Job to Execute\" & \"Version\"

Hi Marc,
if you click "view/task properties" then the right pane will show with three tabs - the advanced tab shows the program name, version and other information.
If you "hover" over the task in the navigation structure then again the program/version should show.

In terms of naming for tasks - not sure if there is a generally accepted standard yet - but I use the process id/work flow/varient/task id route - which has a learning curve. Once you get used to is it works well.

I also would be interested to see if there are other better ways to do this, never the less I hope this gives you a starter for 10.

Warm regards

Peter

Back