Signatures on checks

Howard Ageson

Howard Ageson

We have a check signing machine that is nearing the end of its life and will have to be replaced. I know we could get a custom font created and installed on our application servers and then, with Form Design Aid, embed the signature in the pdf - but our accounting and finance management are nervous about this option. How are other E1 users addressing this? Is everyone using a check signer? If you are using a custom font, what are you doing to control its use, if anything?

We are on EnterpriseOne 9.0, tools release 8.98.1.1 on Windows servers, Oracle Application Server and SQL Server 2005.

Howard,

You left out at least one other option - third party (e.g. Create!form; Formscape; Optio; etc.). We use Create!form to produce cheques including signatures, securing the server on which it resides.

--00163630edff71debf048ab0602d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Howard,

All of the tools peterb mentioned, are in fact products of Bottomline.
Regardless, you have one other option. Did you look into BI publisher?

Pardha

to
ist.com?Subject=3DUnsubscribe&Body=3DSirs,

Please++remove+this+address
--00163630edff71debf048ab0602d
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-2
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

=A0 Regardless, you have one other option.=A0 Did you look into BI publishe <div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM, peterbruce <span dir=3D"ltr"><<a href=3D"mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a> <blockquote style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex ; PADDING-LEFT: 1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">Howard,

You left out at l east one other option - third party (e.g. Create!form; Formscape; Optio; et c.). We use Create!form to produce cheques including signatures, securing t he server on which it resides.
m how to fish, feed them for a lifetime." Oracle JD Edwards Enterprise One, E8.11sp1 8.97.2.1, ES Sun, Oracle DB 10.2, Websphere 6 Win2K3. Forms: Create!form Server 3/Server 6
<div class=3D"im">
=3DOWDEV&Number=3D160138" target=3D"_blank">entire JDELIST thread</a> i s available for viewing.</div>
postlist.php?Cat=3D&Board=3DOpps" target=3D"_blank">Job Opportunities f <div align=3D"center"><font size=3D"-2" face=3D"Verdana, Arial">
<div class=3D"im">This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Developers Mailing List <div class=3D"im">
[email protected]?Subject=3DUnsubscribe&Body=3DSirs,

Please++remove+ this+address+from+the+JDELIST+EnterpriseOne+Developers+Mailing+List.

T hank+You." target=3D"_blank">Click here</a>. </p>

--00163630edff71debf048ab0602d--

Hi Howard,

like others I didn't vote because you didn't include more common solutions.

FYI Check signing machines are becoming like hand-cranked washing machines.

The custom Font solution is a kluge that can work - but its still a kluge.

A Forms Management solution lets you programmatically insert a image file containing a signature (jpeg, tif, whatever) onto the output document. And of course if it can do that it can also print the rest of the check including company logo, etc onto plain check stock.

So. rather than securing the machine - now you need to secure the application and image files appropriately - some people have access - some don't.

Gentlemen,

I believe you have steered me in the right direction. Out with the old and in with the new. BI Publisher or Formscape it is!

Thank you.

I guess if you want to call it a kluge, then so be it. It can be a lot less of a kluge than some of the reports I've seen (and they are just using RDA and nothing more). While it may be a kluge to you, it is still a cost effective solution for anyone. You don't have to buy any major software or have to worry about the resources to support that additional software. If you already have the additional software, then go for it.

I myself find that a custom font can be installed on a particular local machine or server and then the JDE software can handle the security. Even BI Publisher requires additional work.

I think the next step might be to have some of our experts outline the steps of the methods you are considering along with the resources and required software and then you can make a decision that is appropriate for you.

Ben again,

I second what Ben stated. Embedded font is cheap and easily maintained. We even used embeded fonts to add other graphics to our checks and my users are quite satisfied. Granted there are fancier solutions but you gotta pay to play. Security is not a problem. We've secured our server that contains the custom font(s).

ALL,
1)If i customize my check print program to print the signature, can i print the PDF over a blank check paper on ANY PRINTER?
or is there any specific requirement for the printer that prints the checks.
Is there any specific toner we need for a printer to print the checks?

I intend to print the routing number,check number on the blank check paper with MICR fonts as well.

Yes, many people print the plain PDF over printed check stock. It all depends on what your bank will accept.

The only other requirement is that you use the special MICR toner if you are going to print the routing number etc. on the check. The toner is expensive, compared to regular toner, but it is available.

We use Formscape to convert the PDF that JDE creates. Through Formscape we print one signature on the checks. We use pre-printed card stock that we load into the printer. This was a very easy solution for us.

Back