Shifts In Work Centers

DSD

Hi,
I have small querry regarding Shifts In Work Center :
1.If there two (Boring )machines having same rate and having different shifts( one machine is old works for one shift and another is new machine (works for three shifts )
In this case do we have to define Two work centers with different Shifts?
2.If I do not want to define so many work centers in that case what could be the solution ?

If you plan to use capacity calculation and to plan in labour hours, you will need to define two WC in order to get the right capacity for each of them. If you don't plan Capacity requirements or if you plan capacity requirements at a highest level (group of WC / despatch group), you may don't need two different WC.
Regards
Regis

To answer your query:

There isn't enough information to really answer your question. Shifts are used in a variety of diferent ways by the system but none of this is connected to the Cost per Hour. Is this the "Rate" you are referring to?

Shifts can be used in Reporting Time and Activity but this is only used for reporting. In Repetitive Manufacturing the 'rate' of Production can be spread over Days/Weeks and Shifts. This is another use.

In "Regular" Manufacturing the Shifts are mostly irrelevent. There is no Begin/End logic to worry about. When Resource Units are generated for the Work Center the R3007G just adds the Hours for the first three Shifts to give you the Resource per day of the blank ("*") Shift in P3007. This blank Shift is used by the R3382 in Capacity Planning.

If your two Work Centers have the same Hours per Day then the Shifts are not important other than for reporting purposes.

Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot for clearing the doubts.But my two work centers are having different hours per day.One Machine(the old one) runs only for one shift and another machine(the new one ) runs three shifts.So in that case if I want two set only one work center for these machines how to do it?
Awaiting your reply,

Definition of a Work center:
A WC is a machine or a group of machines capable of performing Interchangeable work
A person or group of people cabable of performing Interchaneable Work.

So Just create the one work center with two machines in setup
and let the floor supervisor worry about scheduling.... he does it manually now anyways.

Back