Shifting Enterprise Server

sunnyind

Well Known Member
Dear Friends,
I have an enterprise server which has our JDE and database installed on Windows NT.
Now
1) can I shift the entire enterprise server on a different machine.
2) can I have JDE (enterprise server NT) on one machine and database on anothe NT machine.
What i mean to say, I have to not only shift my enterprise server on a different machine but also to move my database out of the enterprise server. Does this require any change installation plan or rather do i need to reconfigure my JDE setup ( from scratch).

please help..

Hi Sunny
You can definately shift you database to another machine as long as your sql*net is configured properly on the enterprise server. JDEdwards ERP only looks for connect strings(database name in Oracle) and it leave up to Oracle binaries(Oracle client/Oracle server) installed on Enterprise server to resolve the connect string.
Here is an example ---> Enterprise server A contains JDEdwards software and Oracle sever or client software. Database server B contains the Oracle server software and Database. Now you need to configure tnsnames.ora in Enterprise server A to point the database to B.
Talk to JDEdwards Support to find out whether they support it or not.

Hi Vivek,
Thanks for your responce. The steup which I have has one enterprise server and a deployment server both on NT. Now I have to shift my Enterprise Server (JDE & Oracle Server Installed) to say from Machine 1 to Machine 2 where in another server would be added as database server on Machine 3. Lastly my would be free for any other purpose. Machine one has a capacity of 100GB and machine 2 & 3 has 40 GB each. So basically not only I have to shift but also seperate out my jde and databse. Can you help me the steps.
Thanks & reagrds

Hi Sunny
We have the same configuration that you have. But we moved our databases to Netapps filer. Oracle server software is still installed on the enterprise server, But all the datafiles are now stored on the Netapps filer. It frees all the space on the Enterprise server. I do not know whether this fits into your scenario or not.
If you are buying a new NT server then you could use following steps
1. Install Oracle software on new server.
2. Copy Oracle database from old server to new server.
3. Modify tnsnames.ora file on the old server(Enterprise Server) to point to databases on the new server.
4. Disable Oracle services on the old server.
5. Restart JDEdwards services.
6. Execute your test plan
And I think that will be sufficent.

Hope this is helpful

Thanks Vivek,
That was indeed helpfull. I am still in the planning stages of my endevour. As stated previously, My priority is to free my Machine 1 (hosting JDE and Database Server).Below mentioned are the steps I think I need to do. Please correct me if I am wrong.
1) Install JDE Enterprise Server on Machine 2 (having the same IP & name as Machine 1) and Oracle Server on Machine 3.
2) Modify the settings in jde.ini and tnsnames.ora file to point to the databse.
3) Perform Porttest and restart My services.
Here is what I am not clear about. There is concept of Application server. Me doing the above steps I guess needs to make sure I modify the installation plan or the OCM mapping for the server map and system B7333.
Please help.
Regards

Hi List,
In our existing setup, I have an Enterprise Server ( hosting my JDE and Oracle Database Server) on MAC1. I need to split in two different machine (MAC2 and MAC3) hosting JDE and Oracle Database individually. This means I have to
a) shift the Enterprise Server from MAC1 to MAC2 and
b) configure the Oracle Database Server on MAC3

I hope, I am able to explain the setup. I am not clear as to which of the following I should follow -

1) From the Installation Guide for OneWorld Xe (Win NT), I have learnt that there is a process by which one can add an Enterprise Server (Application Server or a Database Server) to our existing setup. This is done by creating a Custom Plan.

2) Another possibility, I shift my Enterprise Server from MAC1 to MAC2 (machine name and IP address remains the same) only the JDE part (not the Oracle database) and on MAC3 install Oracle Database. In this case, I guess below mentioned steps and changes are required :
a) need to change the jde.ini of Enterprise Server
b) add connect string for the database connectivity
c) change the database data source machine name from MAC1 to MAC3
d) change the Server map machine name from MAC1 to MAC2

I would appreciate any kind of inputs from your side.

Hi Sunny
You do not need to modify OCM mapping as you are keeping the name of the new Enterprise server same as the old one.
You can add the new data server using the custom plan ( I do not think it will make any difference But it does not hurt to add).

Hope it is helpful

Hi Vivek,
Thanks a lot, that actually my confidence. I hope i am not asking much.
It would be very kind of you, to deatil me with the steps to add a new data server. Is it the same way as given in chapter 12 of the installation guide (my point no 1).
But say i have added the new dataserver MAC3 , now in the database data source (eg:central Object - CRP) map don't i need to change the machine names to MAC3. I hope doing so wouldn't mess up my existing running system.
Thanks a lot againg for ur extended help.
Regards

Sunny -

My suggestion...

1 - Build the new Oracle Database Server on MAC3
2 - Change the data sources such that Enterprise Server MAC1 points to the
new Oracle Database Server on MAC3. You will also need to update tnsnames
on MAC1. Ensure that the existing Oracle DB on MAC1 is shut down so there
is no chance MAC1 can refer to it successfully.
3 - Once the existing Enterprise Server MAC1 is up and running with data
sources pointed to the new Oracle Database Server on MAC3, build out the new
Enterprise Server MAC2. If you want to do some testing before switching to
MAC2, you could create a temporary environment on MAC2 that uses the same
pathcode as production on MAC1 but different business data.
4 - Once you are satisfied MAC2 works well, drop the temporary environment
in JDE but retain the directory structure on MAC2. Then, make all the
necessary SQL changes to effectively migrate from MAC1 to MAC2.

I have done the server migration part of this puzzle twice and the method
worked well. You will need to be able to sling some SQL, though.

Buena Suerte / Tony

Re: RE: Shifting Enterprise Server

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the well layed out plan. below mentioned are the steps I plan incorporating your steps:
1) Build (Install & Import) Oracle database Server on MAC3 and simultaneously Install Enterprise Server (Win NT) on MAC2 (same name and IP address).
2) Exactly as you mentioned. By "change data sources" i guess u mean the database data source and i need to change the machine name and the database name.Please confirm.
3)- 4) We are into customization of JDE. And creating a separate path code just for testing purpose... I guess If I install JDE Enterprise Server on MAC2 and replace my entire folders with the once in MAC1 it sould work.
please suggest.
Thank you

RE: RE: Shifting Enterprise Server

Sunny -

Yes. By "change data sources" I meant the database data sources in JDE that
will be changed by moving the Oracle database to a different server. This
will involve at least the Server Name field. Other fields, too, may need to
be changed if your Database Name or operating system for the DB server is
changed. You will also need to update all tnsnames files to point to the
new DB server.

Yes. You can replace your testing path code directory structure on MAC2
with that of the directory structure of MAC1 during the cutover process.
However, keep in mind that you will need to make the necessary changes to
JDE tables (through the front end or through SQL) to let JDE know that the
environment on MAC1 (production?) has been moved to the MAC2 server. Do not
forget to make sure SVMB tables are in agreement after the cutover (OCM
mappings, job history table, etc). The KG doc on migrating enterprise
servers (do not recall the doc #) does a fairly good job of explaining the
steps.

Tony

Hi for Second solution:

2) Another possibility, I shift my Enterprise Server from MAC1 to MAC2 (machine name and IP address remains the same) only the JDE part (not the Oracle database) and on MAC3 install Oracle Database. In this case, I guess below mentioned steps and changes are required :
a) need to change the jde.ini of Enterprise Server
b) add connect string for the database connectivity
c) change the database data source machine name from MAC1 to MAC3
d) change the Server map machine name from MAC1 to MAC2

I think you need to do next steps:
a) Enterprise Server from MAC1 to MAC2 (machine name and IP address remains the same) only the JDE part (not the Oracle database) and on MAC3 install Oracle Database
b) change deployment server/enterprise server tnsnames.ora file

Because in system data source revision form server name is not used ,jde only check tnsnames.ora file and oracle connect string .

Back