Set Selection using Wildcards - is this possible?

jdeuser2001

Hello group,

I am trying to set selection in an application to return a data set using a '*' wildcard character in one of the criteria of my data select.

Is this possible?

If not, how can a search be done on a portion of a string?

Here is my code:

VA evt_RelatedLOT = concat(substr([VA evt_Lot],0,12),'*')
Set Selection(FC Grid, "F46L11", "ITM", <Equal To>, VA evt_IdentifierShortItem, <And>)
Set Selection(FC Grid, F46L11, "LOTN", <Equal To>, VA evt_RelatedLOT, <And>)
Set Selection(FC Grid, "F46L11", "MMEJ", <Equal To>, VA evt_Date, <And>)

The value in the VA evt_RelatedLOT = '174X90137273*'

Thanks all!

Will.

Howdy,

Sadly, E1 does not give you the opportunity to embrace a Wildcard within the toolset. Many have asked the Oracle, Even more have been dismissed.

Someone once commented that a wildcard could be used within a C Function, but the discussion never went further. And, since the C Function's "Selection" cannot be imposed upon either a UBE or an APPL - most of us remain frustrated.

(db)

The way to handle this is to use Filter Fields on the form that may or may not be hidden (purely up to you) but whose contents you populate in the code.

Typically I place the code for this either in the Post-Dialog Initialized event (if filters are static based on passed data to the form) or in the Find Button Clicked event (if the filters are more dynamic).

if you don't know how how to create a filter field let us know.

Cheers,

Silly me, I wasn't reading 'Application'.

As Larry suggested - Filter Fields.

Another options is to populate the QC Columns, also.

(db)

In this case, how about something like:

Set Selection(FC Grid, F46L11, "LOTN", <Greater Than Or Equal To>, '174X90137273000000000000000000', <And>)
Set Selection(FC Grid, F46L11, "LOTN", <Less Than Or Equal To>, '174X90137273ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ', <And>)

(Either like this or in (hidden) filter fields like Larry mentioned)

Thank you to all for great suggestions!

This is sad indeed that the toolset does not incorporate a simple wildcard search. Is there any hope that Oracle will listen to the requests for this and other improvements or is it like pissing against the wind on Larry Elison's yacht?
smile.gif

I will try the suggestions mentioned.

Thanks again,

Will.

PS: Just in case you didn't know yet: The toolset allows the use of wildcards in at least one area, and that's in Select-statements in ER. You use "%" as the wildcard character, combined with the "Is Like" operator.

Yes, many things in this product are like pissing around Ellison's yacht....

If you piss at the yacht, you kill the fish. If you piss off the yacht, you change the color of your socks.

Frustrating!

(db)

ps, google images have some sweet pix of that 'boat'....

Hi,

We can use a FC Column wherein the part of string can be given and in the Control Exit you can make it as *String* and assign it to QC which should work.

Back