Self Table Join - Not in the web

craig_welton

craig_welton

Legendary Poster
Just came across an issue that I think should be addressed. Create a BSVW that joins F0101 to itself, AN81 of instance 1 to AN8 of table 2. The web client can't handle this, only returning the fields from table 1. This is basic RDBMS design and works in the non Java JDB implementation. That's why the table instance member exists in the spec. This is not supported, I was told. Grrr.

I feel your pain Craig.
I had to create a SQL view to fool E1 ...
crazy.gif

Hey Adrian. Yeah, I did the same thing, thanks.

I have an SR, but don't think it'll get very far. There is a doc (ID 657502.1) stating it will take a huge development effort to get this "feature" to work on the web.

bummer

Yes, and UBE's submitted from the HTML client choke on this as well, however, you can still submit from full client.

This explains a lot! I have a variation on this theme where I added the same table to the business view twice. For my scenario these 2 tables joined to 2 fields in a third table instead to each other like the original poster.

I submited to the server from the FAT client and it would work great. I could run another UBE that called this UBE and it worked great. But, when the user would run directly and from the WEB client it would error out.

Thanks for posting this one! At least I know I am not crazy now. I was pulling put my hair on this one.

Craig (and others)....

Then... the easy fix is to adjust the tools to not allow the same table to be duplicated in a BSVW.

Yes - the workaround is to use an SQL View (and there may be performance considerations - YMMV)

SQL View Workaround:
1 Copy F0101 to F550101 (DO NOT GENERATE)
2 Create View F550101 as Select * from F0101
3 Create BSVW linking F0101 and F550101
4 Take the afternoon off - you have solve the world problems (at least until election time)

(db)

[ QUOTE ]

Then... the easy fix is to adjust the tools to not allow the same table to be duplicated in a BSVW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that would be the easy fix, but the correct fix would be for Oracle to simply fix it so it works. I mean it worked in Xe...

Back