Restricting the PDF file size

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
Hello,

Is it possible to restrict the PDF file size which is getting generated.

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to reduce it.
Here are some tips for you to experiment with.

First rule : reduce the amount of data you're printing.

Are all the fields you're showing really necessary?
Can some of the alpha fields be truncated, let's say
from 50 to 20 characters?
Can you display zeros as blank?
If a certain field repeats N times, can you set a break
level and put it as a header? Or, can you just display
its first occurrence?

Second rule : experiment with different printer drivers

This is specially true on Windows, where they can make
a BIG difference.

I had a 2x PDF increase just by going from HP Laserjet
4L to HP Laserjet 5 drivers. Experiment also with
PCL and PS drivers, you can have some surprises there.

Check also that you're using the lowest possible
resolution (that satisfies to your users), a 1200x1200
DPI Address Book PDF will be larger than a 300x300 DPI,
and both may look almost equally nice.

Regards,

and don't forget the obvious - teach your users to use the correct data selection. I had to help out one of my finance guys today with a PDF. The report had over 24,000 pages. yea, that's useful....
tongue.gif

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your reples. I am aware of these thing, WHat I really want to do is some how set the limit of PDF file to go to certain size only ( 10MB) if some one produces a file more that 10 MB it errors out... THis way if a user accidently ( or deliberately) produced a PDF file of 24000 Pages it errors out....Business user wont listen to us when we try to explain that this is performance drag plus are they really using a such a large file....

I am looking for a solution to this problem as well. We have a 1024 MB volume for PDF creation, if a runaway report fills this space, it errors, and subsequently all jobs error out until it is cleared.

I would like to limit the PDF creation to a much smaller size so this volume doesnt fill.

[ QUOTE ]
We have a 1024 MB volume for PDF creation, if a runaway report fills this space, it errors, and subsequently all jobs error out until it is cleared.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 1024 MB? That's kind of small. We have 80 GB set aside for PDFs and the JDE pathcodes. Even with all that, I still go in once a week and purge old PDFs. We keep 30 days worth. Anything older than that gets whacked weekly.

I have had the issue of running out of disk space. We avoid that through weekly management and automation. We run BMC patrol on that server. When disk space starts getting tight, it sends me an email. If it gets REALLY tight, it sends an alarm to my server operation guys on their HP Openview console. They don't know how to fix the issue, but they do have my cell number.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Hi Gregg,

The 1024MB is reserved for PDF creation only. When the report is processing the temp PDF file is created in this volume, once the job completes, the PDF is moved over to the printqueue directory, which is on a much larger volume.

The issue I run into a few times a year is that a report is submitted with open data selecton and the PDF result is larger than 1024MB. This causes the job to end in error and subsequently all jobs after that until the temp file is cleared from the volume.

You could try changing the temp directory for the user to your larger volume.

Back