Request to print a 1099 early.

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
Wondering if any one has had this request. A/P has cut a manual check to a vendor, but our legal department is asking that we also include their 2013 1099 when the check is mailed.

I could see sort of a way to do that, by just running the 1099 process now, perhaps for just that one vendor. We will clear the file and rebuild it in janurary anyway. But then we do not have the end of year 1099 ESU from JDE nor do we have 2013 1099 forms yet.

Has anyone else had to produce a form early. Is that even allowed with the IRS? Or is it just a technical issue that we may have to overcome. Of course without the 2013 1099 forms, not sure how we would do it in any case. We do use preprinted 1099 forms, not using BI publisher or anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A very easy solution is to create a manual 1099 now, comply with your Legal directive, then simply prepare a 1099 when you process 2013 and the reporting to the IRS will be completed at that time. You can mark this vendor on HOLD so no further 2013 payments are made, and also note on the vendor that the 2013 1099 is not to be mailed/transmitted to the vendor since they have already received it. (NOTE: Even if the 1099 is sent in January 2014, it is not an issue).

Thanks, but I guess our real issue, is that we do not currently have the 2013 1099 forms. They typically do not order those for a while now. So it seems like we would need a 2013 1099 form to produce a 1099. If they wanted us to produce a 1099 or tomorrow for example, they would be out of luck. We cannot just use a 2012 form can we?

I would think your Legal dept should check on the "legality" of this request? Since the IRS controls the rules for production of that document, and those rules can change each year, until the IRS has published the 2013 "rules" (and subsequent 2013 form), your company could be producing an incorrect 1099? I know they rarely change but who know! I can't ask for a W-2 form when I leave a company in the middle of the year!

Would they accept the "facsimile" 1099 document that you can produce in E1 as a "pre-1099" to the vendor with notation to them the official 1099 will be sent in early 2014?

Not an issue. Business sense prevails - send them a marked up 2012 form and advise them it is "memo" only and they will receive the official 2013 next year. Advise your legal dept. and ask their approval of your solution.

Back
Top Bottom