recovering licenses

wgrantusa

Well Known Member
I have a question about recoving licenses. Our SPC code does not expire until 04/2005. We have many unsed licenses now since we moved some people from a Fat to a thin client. We would like to reclaim them. Can I do this while users are signed on? Should I wait until the date of the SPC expiration gets closer before calling the wonderful response line?

Thanks in advance
Stephanie

There are some documents on the KG to help you:

*Do a Solution Search.
*For the keyword type in recovering (don't select a product group)
*Look for solution id 200783222 and 200783081.

Grant.

Stephanie, there are documents on how to recover all licenses then reissue them, etc. However, if you want to do this selectively without waiting, licenses are normally recovered from fat clients when the software is uninstalled from their PC. So, uninstall at your leisure and your licenses will be recovered. If you have cases where a PC no longer exists and you need to recover the license for it, you can rename another temporary PC to the one you need, then install a partial package then uninstall it. Better yet, use MS Virtual PC to do it.

Grant,

Do I have to do the Server part? I only need to recover the client licenses. Also, can I do this during the day when users are signed on?

Stephanie

I'm not sure about that one, never actually ran through the process yet but with another psft call they made me aware of the document. We went through the expiration thing before but never resetting all the clients.

You may want to call psft on it. The last step may be triggered just by signing in. When we reset the expiration date for the software, clients would get some dialog box saying to type in their authorization code. They would then have to click on Form, then Get Auth. This is before they were actually in the application.

Grant.

Before we implemented Citrix, I used the Uninstall from Fat clients trick all of the time. Go to Control Panel, Add Remove programs and remove JDE. It can be run at any time, with users logged into JDE on different machines. I've also used the same process to recover Citrix installation licenses.

Hi Stephanie,
As other have also mentioned , You can just uninstall JDE from the workstations which you dont use any more and your licenses will be recovered. You can use the License usage application P98538 to verify that your license was recovered. You can do this activity at any time.

And yes one imp thing , make sure that you can access the \B7333\Client folder on your deployment server from the workstation you are uninstalling

Back