RDA.EXE error with CSV output

shazbot

Is there a limit to the number of columns I can have in CSV output for a report?

I'm developing a CSV report which needs 80 columns. Got the first 44 done yesterday and it works beautifully. Added the last 36 today and I get an RDA.EXE Application Error - memory could not be "read". This happens if I'm in RDA and preview in CSV format, or if I submit the job from BV to run locally (though the error isn't always the same). So I suspect it's not specifically an RDA error.

However, if I change it to PDF output it works fine - I don't get the error, but of course the report looks ugly and most of the columns are cut off. If I delete the extra columns I added and run in CSV preview again it works.

This isn't a financial report, and the most I can find on the KG is specifying column width of 52 for CSV output.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

I'm wondering if I just ignore the error and go ahead with my development and deploy to the AS/400, if the problem will still occur there - our deployments are overnight though, it could be a long, slow journey to solve the problem if I have to do a deployment each time I want to try a different approach.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,
Sharon

There were a couple of fixes to CSV since SP15, the last one I remember went into SP19, so if you upgrade to SP19 or later, this problem should go away.

The issue you are descibe, I just found on the KG: it is
SAR 5381797 CSV crashes w/ >50 columns - fixed in SP17

Also this is the one from SP19:
5589900 Column Hdr Missing in CSV
I don't remember seeing any fixes to CSV after this, but I also haven't developed any CSV reports since this one came out...

that's what I was afraid of! Don't see any SP being applied to our system anywhere on the horizon, so I guess I'll have to find some other way around it (like RPG!)

Thanks

Sharon

Back