Problem with 8.10 ER Compare

Wkunneke

Wkunneke

In the process of upgrading from Xe to 8.10, we currently have development running on 8.10.

ER Compare was running and helping us with the retrofit work until now. Now, when we click on ER Compare, the small window appears like it's loading ER Compare, but nothing else happens, it's as if we never clicked on the ER Compare button. We've tried this on several machines with almost the same results. The only difference was that one machine actually generated a runtime error that states:

Program C:\e810\System\Bin32\VSMerge.exe abnormal program termination.

Is anyone else have any issues with ER Compare in 8.10? All machines are running on Win2k Professional with full development loaded. We suspect that something has changed via SMS push or with rights, but we can't confirm that. We are askng our sysnet guys to look into everything they've pushed to the desktop OS in the last month.

Thanks in advance,

Hi William,

I suppose, all machine has an installed XE client too. Am I right.

I am not sure that it helps, but check the path variable of the operating system.
If B7 folders precede E810, then change the path the way all E810 folders precede B7 folders.

Regards,

Zoltán

Most of these test machines only have 8.10 loaded. The only one that does have both Xe and 8.10 loaded did have the B7 folders listed first, but changing it didn't have any effect. Furthermore, it wouldn't explain why it did work and doesn't work now. Thanks anyway,

Hi William,

A couple of month ago, I heard about similar problem with Visual ER Compair, but on XE. The problem was, that VSMerge.exe was infected. I copied VSMerge.exe from an other place and it solved the problem.

Did your issue arise after re-install the client?

The likelyhood, that you have same problem is small, but you can make a scan with your anti-virus software and with the latest virus definition file on a machine, where VERC fails.

Regards,

Zoltán

Back