Print Immediate via Scheduler in OneWorld XE

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
We are attempting to implement a solution that would allow us to perform a Print Immediate for several of our jobs that are run on Scheduler. This functionality is not available until 8.11 but JDE does have a paper that describes how it might be accomplished. I have also seen references to others on this forum that have tried to use this custom workaround. Some have gotten it to work apparently but I believe others have failed.

I have implemented the proposed solution but cannot get the Print Immediate to occur. The solution involves writing a C function that performs a jdeLaunchUBEEx and setting the print immediate parameter within the C code. I have followed the JDE paper in creating a table with pgm and version fields and initiating the function on Table E/R, and have also written a driver UBE that passes parameters to the function and executes it that way. In both cases, the job we want is submitted but the print does not occur. We have checked all parameters and they are set as recommended in the JDE paper as well as on other messages posted here. We are on OW XE SP23 running on an AS400.

Any thoughts about what might be a good place to start on figuring out why this isn't working would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have helped implement a print immediate solution based on adding a trigger to the Job Control Master File F986110 on Update and on Add.
I recommend reading the following thread:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=51198&page=&view=&sb=5&o=

They have been running hundreds of users on an iSeries enterprise server since 2003 now and they just love the solution.

The good thing about this approach is that no change is required on the way reports are submitted. Reports are added by user/environment/program/version (if I remember) by adding an entry through the default printer app with a special "status code" of PI (print immediate). They later made a change so that a new status code of CF (copy file) couly be used to copy a specific report to a shared directory.

Here is the link to some code:

http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Number=50740&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

Good luck!

Back