Price adjustments - mass maintenance or Matrix

Aarto

Aarto

Reputable Poster
Hi all!

I am tring to find a way to import or maintain prices for multiple items (either to base prices by item number / customer group or as override adjustments by item number / customer group

Basically, i would like to see a grid like this (all items by customer group)
Item 1, customer group A, price 100
Item 2, customer group A, price 110
Item 3, customer group A, price 200
etc (with effective dates and other fields)

I've looked at price matrix but can not see how i could use this as it requires two groups and at least one of them has to be a complex group. So i can not use this if i want to define prices by item number, only if i do it by item group/customer group

Then i looked at mass maintenance, P45550, and here the problem is the opposite.. I can set it up by item number but can not use customer group as criteria since the "basic" customer group is no lonager available in F4072, only the complex price group ID exists in F4072
So this would show all prices for all items without being able to limit the results to a certain customer group

Seems like Oracle has very carefully avoided giving ua a solution to the one requirement i have seen since 1997. (Ability to upload/Mass update prices on item number/customer group level) or i'm just too daft to see the obvious way of achieving this?

Maybe there is a way of doing this? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The real requirement is to be able to calculate markup/discounts from the suppliers price list and we want to be able to import this list from Excel directly into base price table or as an override price adjustment. It would be great if there was support to pick up a supplier price directly from F41061 but i don't think that is possible

We're on 9.0 with all the latest ESU:s installed (starting configuration phase with clean install)

/Aarto

Hi Aarto,

Clearly you already have a good understanding of some of the limitations of this software, I do however have some options to consider based on your final point, stating... "The real requirement is to be able to calculate markup/discounts from the suppliers price list and we want to be able to import this list from Excel directly into base price table or as an override price adjustment. It would be great if there was support to pick up a supplier price directly from F41061 but i don't think that is possible."

1. You can load Supplier Prices into the Cost Table using the F4105Z1 via an Excel Upload - let calls the Cost Method "SP" for the ease of use. You would change your Items to have a Purchasing Cost Method = "SP" for your Purchase Order Price. And then you can create a single Advanced Pricing rule by Primary UOM which picks up 100% Cost Method "SP" as an Override Adjustment and then create additional pricing rules that adjust +/- using this Supplier Price as a base.

Watch out for the following....
- You will need to consider how you manage price changes as Costs do not have date effectivity (maybe use the User Date in the F4105Z1 as the trigger for controlling the update of the "SP" cost method?)
- You may need 2 different Cost methods one for Purchasing and one for Sales if price changes kick in on different dates
- If you are multi-currency your costs will need to be maintained at Branch level.

2. You can create a Pricing Adjustment Definition that is used by both Purchasing & Sales where you could enter the Supplier Price and share the one Supplier Price entry across both systems (back to mass maintenance issue).

3. You can load pricing on mass by category code, so if you set up a cat code on the Item for each Item or Item Group (if multiple items have same base price), when a change comes through you can use Mass Maintenance to Expire the old records and then use standard Pricing Detail maintenance & excel to upload a new pricing record for ALL Item Cat Code entries (aka Items).

Hope one of these options help.

Hi Craig! Thanks for your input..
I have considered using F4105 to hold supplier prices but there are some problems with this (basically, the supplier price in domestic currency is calculated from the foreign currency price using different agreed exchange rates per customer group. this rules the F4105 option out, unfortunately

The second option, to use same adjustment with sales and purchases brings us back in mass maintenance + the purchasing adjustments would nomrally be in foreign currency while the sales prices would need to be in domestic (since advanced pricing adjustments need to be in sales currency for some strange reason :)
I could possibly use R407201 to copy the foreign currency adjustments to domestic currency ones (one version per customer group that has an agreed exchange rate) and let purcasing department take the "hit" in maintaining the adjustment (hehe)

The third options seems to be the most feasible one. (Imagine if Oracle wouls one day add item number (LITM) as a possible addvanced item group code. This would resolve the problem once and for all)

I will check if the customer can construct a "model" number for their items.. Unfortunately, the longest group code that can be used is 8 characters so they would probably have to split the "model" code into at least two cat codes and therefore would have to apply some logic as how to do this..

If none if the above approaches are accepted, a custom UBE to populate F4106 base prices will most likely be the way forward (we already did this with one customer way back in XE but this was before the customer group was removed from F4106 and was replaced by CGID)

With kind regards
/Aarto

Back