Post Migration File Copies

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Looking for suggestions....

During a recent migration from an iSeries to Unix/Oracle, several custom tables were not migrated. Post go-live, it is realized that we need those tables for various reasons...

Now the question - what is the best way for Developers go do the search and grab of that information.

Oracles way - R98403B (The B allows us to snag specific tables, right?). If I understand, we need to have a machine with both the current pathcode - AND the pathcode of the legacy system? The machine that does the copy must of both the Oracle Software and Client Access Installed. Seems a bit overkill?

Foreign Tables and ODBC - A Table Conversion can be used to import from a Foreign Table. E1/Oracle needs to be installed and Client Access with ODBC Connections to the iSeries.

Other Means?

I'm trying to get a feel for how other organization snag data from their iSeries/DB2 to their Unix/11G-ish...

(db)

Hi Daniel,

I would expect that all you need to have is one or more data sources pointing to the legacy system. This implies having Client Access on your development client (If you want to run it on a server there might be more requirements, especially if it's non-Windows). You don't really need a legacy pathcode if you can get the table definitions and DD items to your new system by other means (OMW save/restore, for example). You might want a (dummy) environment containing the OCM mappings for every table, if you have a lot of legacy data source where the tables would reside.

Depending on how many tables you're talking about you can either do that manually via OMW / Copy Table, specifying as source a legacy system data source and as target the corresponding data source of your new system.

The R98403's do more or less the same, and as far as I remember they accept either data sources or environments as source/target. So if all your tables reside in Business Data data sources, it would be quite easy to use them with data sources as source/target. If specifying environments as source/target please be careful because depending on the R98403's setup they might do some additional actions that you do not want/expect.

An alternative for using the R98403's is to create your own UBE or APPL utilizing the B9800200.CopyTable BSFN, which is the one that does all the work.

Foreign Tables / Table Conversion is always an option, but if you want to copy OneWorld tables 1:1 from one system to another they're overkill in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Back