Package Deployed without Admin selecting 'Deploy' ?!?!

mbatchler

Package Deployed without Admin selecting \'Deploy\' ?!?!

All-
A crazy thing happened to me 2 nights ago, and my boss doesn't believe me - any comments as to why would be GREATLY appreciated!!

me: relative novice JDE admin

system: JDE ERP8

situation:
I built an update package for our PD environment in the evening with the hopes to deploy it during a window when no jobs were running.
The package build was successfully and on the deployment section, I selected my targets, my attributes, my client checklist and stopped at the next screen (where the exit bar allows me to activate then deploy the package). I waited here until i monitored my submitted reports page for no activity. During this period, power fluxed and caused my machine to reboot. Upon reboot, I immediately selected my package from the list and waited again for an open window for deployment. After 4 hours of monitoring, I decided there would be no feasible way to deploy the package and closed out of all my windows (using the red 'x' with the app).
When I came back in the next morning and opened JDE, I was prompted to install the update package and it was listed twice in my window!! My boss swears the only way to deploy a package is to select the 'deploy' button, but I am 100% certain I did not select it at any point that night.

Has anyone seen this happen before? Is there a problem with my procedure that is allowing this?

Again, any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Batchler
JDE Assistant Admin

Re: Package Deployed without Admin selecting \'Deploy\' ?!?!

Hi,

If you have selected target systems for deploy, they will recieve a deployment notice once they logon.

The active/deactive package button makes the package to be marked as "Approved / Unapproved". This controls listing of the package in the client install screen during the installation process.

If you repeat the deployment screen to deploy packages on clients, it is by the push package methodology and I only use it for deploying packages on my enterprise server.

I am very tempted to put a disclaimer on this message - Use this information at your own risk. This is purely based on my understanding.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Yogi

Thanks Yogi,
I understand the function of the active/inactve button, my biggest concern is how the package was deployed to the servers/clients without me selecting 'Deploy' and completing the process by selecting 'End' (which I've been informed is the only way to make the packages available for the clients)

I'm curious if there's a log file or audit history that can show my exact actions and possibly what happened.

Thank You-

MBATCHLER,

The deployment record is entered into the F98825 (Package Deployment Scheduling) table when you click Next after selecting the clients to which to deploy the package. This enables the user to click the deploy form exit on the last screen, before clicking End. So when your machine rebooted the deployment record had already been created. There is no need to select the Deploy or Activate exits to allow pull deployment. When the user logs on they will be prompted to install the package.

Here are my thoughts as to what happened. You clicked Add to deploy the package and completed all screens except the last screen which has the End button - at this stage the 1st deployment record for your machine has been created. You were waiting in this screen for a window to deploy the package. You must have included you own PC among the target machines and you must have forward date/timed the deployment. Otherwise when your machine rebooted and you logged on again you would have had the package waiting for you to accept. After the reboot, thinking that the package had not yet been deployed, you clicked add again and completed all screens except the last screen which has the End button (thus creating the 2nd deployment record for your machine) and waited again. After 4 hours you clicked close. Thus when you logged the next morning there were two deployment records for the one package waiting for you to accept.

Back