OW Xe to 8.10 Upgrade

bono2001

Once you upgrade your DV or PY pathcode to 8.10. Is your deployment server for Xe unaccessible and all XE mods on hold until you finish all retrofits in DV/PY and are ready to upgrade PD? How do you deal with the down time to do the retrofits?
I would appreciate any insight.
THX Bono2001

That's not really a "downtime", plus, even then there are other ways to handle it:
- Do all mods twice - in both XE and E810, or
- There're actually software tools to copy mods from release to release, making this halt in development optional or even obsolete

Although the business data has been converted to E1 8.10 format, your Central Objects holding your XE code did not. You should be able to check out and in from a workstation when logged on to a different pathcode/environment than the one that was converted.

The suggested upgrade method is to create a copy of an existing path code and environment(s) to upgrade. It is also suggested that if you are not going to install a new deployment server (preferred), you utilize multi-foundation in order to maintain your existing, as well as upgraded system.

Regards,

Actually, the recommend upgrade path - should be...
* Create a new installation of 8.10 (different LPAR or system)
* Use third-party tool (boomerang or similar) to migrate modified objects
OR Use the Advanced ER Compare - to Migrate the modificatons from
Pre-8.x to 8.x
* Copy data to 8.x system and convert to Unicode

There's a lot of assumptions left out of my steps, but it's the safest
way to migrate and you can keep Pre/Post migration development active
through the life of the migration.

HTH

(db)

--

Jim,

Is there a document out there that explains how to do multi foundation between the two diff versions (Xe and 8.10).

I have done it for the service pack but not sure about this one.

Javid

Back